Trench Art or Graffiti

lfpdlt

I recently purchased this Colt 1917 in spite of the painted markings on the grips. Before I go ahead and destroy a lost treasure by removing the paint from the grips, has anyone ever seen markings like these before? Are they some unit insignia, or just the bored doodling of someone who doesn't enjoy the look of old growth walnut? Any help would be appreciated.

2eajp61.jpg

Charlie Flick

L:

I have seen a lot of unit and rack markings on US weapons over the years but have not seen anything that resembles what you see on your revolver. My opinion is that the markings were probably added at some time after the weapon left US service.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Whether while done in Issue/Service use, or not, I believe that the markings ADD to the piece.

I, personally, would not remove them. They are certainly not really hurting anything, and someday you might wish that they were still present.

While almost certainly not a rack number, is it possible that they were added while 'actually in Service', as a matter of personal ID?

While carving/painting one's initials (or such) on an Issued firearm, would obviously be more than subject to reprimand/article; it could be a possibility that such markings would/could 'float-by'.

I have a Winchester M1894 SRC, in .30 CAL W.C.F. (later described/nick-named as the "30-30"); that was made in 1917. It has a factory roll-mark "J. C. '17" on receiver, under the S/N. It also has a rack number stamped into the buttstock.

Though, most importantly in relation to this topic, there is also a brass, diamond-shaped-inlay, on the buttstock near the buttplate.

I can only believe that this was added for quick ID purposes.

[There is also an additional marking, which escapes my recollection, just now.]

I have meant, for 25+ years, to send a letter to the Cody Museum for additional verification.[...Someday, is just around the corner.....]

I am quite nearly certain that this saddle-ring-carbine was Issued/carried by a U.S, Cavalry Trooper, during WWI.

"J.[which?] Cavalry [unit] '17" has always intrigued me; ever since original purchase. And the index-rollmark is most definitely NOT done with hand-index stamps...

Would appreciate suggestions as to "WHICH" CAV Unit, that this carbine would/could have had association.

Regards,

By the looks of it I would venture to say that the grips were taken off when they were painted.

Looking at the screw for the grips has there been any recent activity with it ?

Are both sides painted ?

I have not received the gun yet to inspect the screws, but both grips are painted exactly alike. Maybe Navajo windtalkers, or something cool like that.

this is way out there, but you are asking for thoughts, so here goes - Morse code?

dot dash

Dash dot dot dot

dot dash

is that morse code?

I agree with leaving it on there. adds to the aura of the piece and isn't really distracting, in my opinion.

A very nice revolver.

Very nice,

It almost appears that it may not just be a layer of paint, at least the lower right "dot" appears to have raised wood around one side as if it is some inlay.

Could be decorative or, possibly, was done to aid in locating the grip in low light.

I concur with Charlie's conclusion.

RC

I just looked at a morse code translater.

Read from left to right & from tHe butt up, that is:

A

B

A

WHatever that may mean. "A Bad Axx?"

just having some fun here, good luck with your decision.

this is way out there, but you are asking for thoughts, so here goes - Morse code?

dot dash

Dash dot dot dot

dot dash

is that morse code?

I agree with leaving it on there. adds to the aura of the piece and isn't really distracting, in my opinion.

A very nice revolver.

Funny that you mention Morse Code: I was also initially intrigued by that concept, as well! Though not exactly "standard-Code", still most interesting.

If it turns out as actual inlay-work, as RC noticed, it would be EVEN MORE interesting...

A great revolver, and with further research, who knows what may be found out!

With the added-notion of N.A.[indian] markings, (which actually makes for somewhat relevant-possibility), it would be an additionally very cool find.

Are there any other countries of origin, that this revolver might have seen Service, where such similar markings may have been observed?

If they bother you that much I would recommend buying another set of grips and putting these away.

Replacements can be found for a small investment and will only grow in value.

It could be that sometime down the line you'll find out something about them and then really regret altering them. This type thing has happened to me several times over the years.

Thanks for all the input. I think I am going to take the advice of leaving the grips as is. The markings don't look like the typical defacing of firearms that you normally see. They look as if they actually have some meaning behind them, would just love to know what it is.

Looking at the picture, and be an amatuer painter, I would have to go along with RC as it being an inlay . The dots are too uniform and the dashes have the same size dots at each end of the the dashes. This looks like the dots were drilled and filled with paint. You can see where the paint is in the small cracks broke out around the dots. Solid inlays for the dashes would generally be more even looking. Any handling of this gun would show some wear to the paint if it was on the surface. And of course this is just my opinion.

Regards, Mitch

Just to add to the clues, the gun is coming out of Arizona,so another possible Native American connection. Also the gun exhibits the 4 digit numbers normally associated with a Springfield arsenal rebuild, but the gun is not parkerized which I am assuming would be a pre WW 2 rebuild. I know it didn't get the markings in WW 1 because I doubt it would have made it through a rebuild with those intact. I understand this is all speculation, but to me wondering about the history of these old military arms is half the fun. Since the gun is coming out of the southwest I am also going to propose a possible Area 51 alien connection. :D

• 1 month later...

Just an update, I received the revolver and it turns out the design is an inlay in the grips. I am going to leave it as is, I think it just adds to the history of this old revolver. Thanks for all the replies.