A very sad story involving an Air Cadet & a WAC. Did he become a pilot ? Grouping

manayunkman

Dear AA,

Thank you for your support.

My digging and asking career officially started when I was a newspaper boy in New York. I was 12.

So I got used to it at a young age.

It is such a thrill to make a discovery that I will never stop doing it.

And I understand the question people ask of your mom.

It is amazing to me that there are adults in this country who don't know the difference between WW1,2, Korea and Vietnam.

I have been asked to write a book several times but for I only have time to hunt right now.

When I am old and slow ( quickly approaching ) book writing will be more my speed.

Thanks again

M

I did keep the WAC stuff for a couple of years.

I sold it during the 90's at the MAX show.

Malcolm from the UK based Regimentals got the whole group.

He was always set up directly across from me.

• 11 months later...

I was just wondering why you removed the pilot's wings from the grouping in the for sale section.

The wings came with this grouping. Correct?

Cpl. Robert M. Fetrow died on 3-11-1944 in the crash of a C-47 near Stuart, Florida along with four others. The plane went out of control in instrument conditions. Cpl. Festrow was listed as the radio operator. Information from "Fatal AAF Accidents in the US, 1941-1945" by Anthony Mireles.

doinworkinvans

Sad indeed. A well documented Purple Heart group I gave back to the family was similarly sad. The husband was KIA in May 1945 and his wife never remarried. She raised their only daughter alone and bought the house they rented after the war. She really loved him. They only lived about 3 blocks away.

To be completely honest, I couldn't corner people like that over a search for militaria. IMHO, I consider it too forward. Just me.

-Ski

I think if he wanted opinions on how he collects he would start a seperate thread and ask...

Thanks for sharing this great and truly touching story! I would have loved to have this, too bad its already gone.

I think if he wanted opinions on how he collects he would start a seperate thread and ask...

I was merely asking for a clarification that the wings were part of the original grouping. I was wondering what happened to the wings. When it was first described the OP stated “Before I continue I have to blow my nose and wipe my eyes.” If this grouping was so moving, I was wondering why the wings were removed from the grouping. I have my response. “So that the letters and photos could be sold cheaply.”

...Kat

• 5 years later...
manayunkman

Cpl. Robert M. Fetrow died on 3-11-1944 in the crash of a C-47 near Stuart, Florida along with four others. The plane went out of control in instrument conditions. Cpl. Festrow was listed as the radio operator. Information from "Fatal AAF Accidents in the US, 1941-1945" by Anthony Mireles.

Great info ragpick.

Better late than never.