Rank Charts, Plates, & Posters of yesteryear

hhbooker2

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" I stumbled accross an old book long since out of print, dated around 1899 which had a colour plate showing the then rank and insignia of the United States Navy and United States Army and the colours were bright and they appeared to have used bronze, gold, and silver printing ink in producing it, the metal colours looked more metalic than you see here, those old printers knew how to print, that is for sure! :D Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ( [email protected] ) BE SURE TO DOWLOAD THIS PRINT!

post-837-1203538552.jpg

Some plates of the wonderfull booklet "Shoulder Sleeve Insignia, Insignia of Rank, Service Ribbons..." published by Joel & Aronoff 1945 in New York.

Lars

R1.JPG

R2.JPG

Major Booker and Lars,

Thank you both for providing rank charts that should cover the interest of most. My mainstay has been the 1944 edition of National Geographic, which suits my needs perfectly.

A question. I have a WWII Captain's Ike jacket complete with Army Aviation Pilot's wings. The complete outfit came directly from the widow. Can you tell me when the wings were introduced?

Thanks in advance for your response. Jack

Major Booker and Lars,

Thank you both for providing rank charts that should cover the interest of most. My mainstay has been the 1944 edition of National Geographic, which suits my needs perfectly.

A question. I have a WWII Captain's Ike jacket complete with Army Aviation Pilot's wings. The complete outfit came directly from the widow. Can you tell me when the wings were introduced?

JACK: 1914 the United Strates Army Air Service awarded a gold badge of a Bald Eagle in flight holding two Signal Corps flags as they were part of the Signal Corps, in 1917 they changed the pilot badge to wings with a shield ,in the centre all in silver with gold letters "U.S." centered on the U.S. Shield. The pilots wings evolved later just before the Second World War and changed again after the U.S. Air Force became their own branch. Some officers in WW2 wore either metal pilot's wings or had them embroidered in silk thread or bullion wire, these tend to tarnish and turn black if silver or even greenish as the copper wire shows through the silver or gold plating. w00t.gif Sarge Booker of Tujungta, California ( [email protected] )

post-837-1203888812.jpg

Major Booker and Lars,

Jack-

The modern style Army Aviation Wing was introduced in 1950. Could the Ike Jacket be Korean War vintage? What shoulder patch and ribbons does it have?

Kurt

The Air Force chart in # 8, is dated incorrectly. The lower enlisted ranks shown were changed in October 1967 to Airman, Airman First Class and Sergeant. In 1965, those ranks would have been Airman 3rd Class (E-2), Airman 2nd Class (E-3) and Airman 1st Class (E-4).

The Air Force chart in # 8, is dated incorrectly. The lower enlisted ranks shown were changed in October 1967 to Airman, Airman First Class and Sergeant. In 1965, those ranks would have been Airman 3rd Class (E-2), Airman 2nd Class (E-3) and Airman 1st Class (E-4).

LEE: Good catch, am not at all familiar with dates of designations of U.S. Air Force, thanks for the correction. :)

post-837-1203966670.jpg

post-837-1203966783.jpg

• 3 years later...
LEE: Good catch, am not at all familiar with dates of designations of U.S. Air Force, thanks for the correction. :)

Not to worry, Sarge

Since 1947 we have had no less than SEVEN different First Sergeant ranks...

It gets embarrassing, frankly.

1947 United States Navy Insignia of Rank. :lol:

Interesting that the Fleet Admiral is shown with the arms of the stars pointing inwards. All others show a pentagon shaped inside. Wonder if this was a graphics mistake or if the Navy 5-star rank insignia was different than Army/AAC.

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" I stumbled accross an old book long since out of print, dated around 1899 which had a colour plate showing the then rank and insignia of the United States Navy and United States Army and the colours were bright and they appeared to have used bronze, gold, and silver printing ink in producing it, the metal colours looked more metalic than you see here, those old printers knew how to print, that is for sure! :D Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ( [email protected] ) BE SURE TO DOWLOAD THIS PRINT!

That 1961 dated poster is with out a doubt incorrectly dated here, You will note;The single chevron for E-2 and the Chevron and rocker for E-3, these are 1968 rank's it was in this time around's that the pivate grade was restructured, with 3 new grade's, Private E-1, No insignia, Private E-2 Single Chevron(The former PFC rank insigina),Private First Class E-3 new insignia Single Chevron w/Single rocker. This new E-3 rank was initially called Lance Corporal, probably to make it compatible with the marine corps E-3 rank of lance corporal. Another clue is the representaion of both field artillery and the air defence artillery, here in 1961 since 1957 the two branch's where combined into one branch simply called the artillery, with the crossed cannon with the missle upright at the axis of the crossed cannon's this new badge was adopted by the artillery to show it new air defence mission while showing its still traditional roll.It was only in august of 1968 that this branch was spilt into two seperate branch's with the new air defence artillery retaining the crossed cannon's with upright missle and the reestablished field artillery reverting back to its traditional branch insignia.

So from what i see it would'nt be a 1961 poster, but this poster does pose a question, in that it lack's the insignia for Command sergeant major, which was autherized it's own insignia in may 1968, why its not here ? There has been conflicting dates in regard to the new PFC E-3 rank and CSM E-9 rank, but from what i can assertain is, that both these insignia only begin to crop up in photos during 1968 and not before. So there you have it.

Lee; right you are, i to found a wrongly dated 60s poster, this one for the army, see below, my quote .

EDIT... Whoops, did'nt see i was replying to a 3 year old + quote LOL LOL.