"Bombs Away"

tarbridge

P1010007.JPG

P1010010 (300x161) (250x134).jpg

This is the grouping of Lt.William J Holloway.

509th Bomb Squadron

351st Bomb Group

B-17 Navigator

The Lt. saved most everything.The extracts for the DFC #15580,Air Medal #11868,scrapbook full of newspaper clippings,passes,tickets,photos.Dog tags,wings and the coolest part-The bomb tags all named,numbered and dated for his missions.They are numbered from 1 to 24,the last one is not dated,numbered or named(maybe a superstition to do that to the 25th?).I enjoy this group,I am glad to see a man do his time and make it back to a successful post war life.

Very nice grouping!!

Those bomb-tags are really interesting.

He flew a mission to Gilze-Rijen, Holland. There is still an Air Force base in Gilze-Rijen. Interesting to see his targets.

Are the medals engraved?

Very nice grouping!!

Those bomb-tags are really interesting.

He flew a mission to Gilze-Rijen, Holland. There is still an Air Force base in Gilze-Rijen. Interesting to see his targets.

Are the medals engraved?

No.They are not engraved.Robert

Those tags....amazing. The 3rd Image of them, with Gielenkirchen Germany. Nasty battle fought there. Its the home of a small Nato base where my sister, a captain in the USAF, is stationed. On my visits to her, I have had the chance to explore around. Wouldn't believe that such carnage had taken place. Goes for much of the western part of Germany, except one notices in the bigger cities not much of the "old town" survived. Just thought provoking....

Some great fleamarkets in the area, quite a bit of neat "war" junk can be found.

Thanks for posting,

Terry

Great grouping! Saw these kind of tags very well displayed in a little exhibition in LaGrange, Georgia (WWII veterans of West-Georgia) in jan. 2011. Here is a photo, I'll list the rest in the "museum"section..

post-54843-0-96585100-1353077984_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Robert,

Great group especially in light of the fact that he flew the majority of his missions the last half of 1943. Very lucky man to make it home back then. Thanks for posting.

Regards,

John