Warrant Officer Ranks

hhbooker2

Was there a Female WO Nurse during WW2? I think these insignia all came together and have not been easy to research. Note that the Nurse pins do not match. Thanks.

Definitely some stuff that was pieced together.

There were no WO Nurses in the Army in WWII, and in fact at the wars ened only 42 total female Warrants.

Was there a Female WO Nurse during WW2? I think these insignia all came together and have not been easy to research. Note that the Nurse pins do not match. Thanks.

Definitely some stuff that was pieced together.

There were no WO Nurses in the Army in WWII, and in fact at the wars ened only 42 total female Warrants.

• 7 months later...
MastersMate

As to the question of Warrant and Chief Warrant Officers being called "Sir", as far as the Coast Guard is concerned,the basis is contained in Title 14 of the US Code. Basically it states, the officers in the Coast Guard there will be an Admiral, Vice Admirals, Rear Admirals, Captains, Commanders, Lieutenant Commanders, Lieutenants, Lieutenants junior grade, Ensigns, Chief Warrant Officers, Cadets, Warrant Officers, and enlisted persons ......

Officers are addressed as Sir or Maam, below Commander, Mister is appropriate.

Heres a little more to add to the subject. I was Appointed a WO1in 1965. I was a Direct Warrant from basically civilian life based on the fact I had a Commercial/Instrument Rating ( Fixed Wing) and passed the Qualification Exam. Warrants were called Sir and saluted just as Commissioned Officers were. A FEW Real Officers used the term Chief in addressing me but I "mentioned" the fact I was not in the Navy where the term is and was highly used for CPO's which is another highly regard rank. Anyhow Mister was then used by these folks. When the Commissioning deal came down I was a CW3 in the IRR and was sent a form to accept or decline same. Accepting, I had to be sworn in by a Commissioned Officer. By chance a friend of my Step son was home on leave from the Rangers and he did the job for me.He was a 1st Lt. The status of the WO has increased over the years and senior warrants ( W4 and W5) have a huge input in Aviation Units in the Army.

CWO insignia from a 91st Bomb Group Vet. He was with a service unit......."totin' bombs and bringin' bullets". These appear Brit made, but he did appear to have toured Germany.....he really enjoyed sitting in German planes!!!!!

post-4098-0-28386200-1460664058.jpg

^ Those are great! I've never seen any like that. Some of them look more ellipse-shaped than obround. Thanks for posting,

Justin B.

I wouldn't take this to the bank but I think those are made from a simple bar with painted medics tape applied..............seems that I had some of these years ago when I was chasing Glider pilots.........they were brown not blue and came from a WO that was in technical services.

Yes, here is close-up.

Justin,

Glad you like these.......when I was collecting Gilder pilot material I was amazed at how many WOs were in the AAF technical services......I guess that makes sense, many of these guys had long careers and many of them started well before the war.

^ Those are great! I've never seen any like that. Some of them look more ellipse-shaped than obround. Thanks for posting,

Justin B.

Heres a little more to add to the subject. I was Appointed a WO1in 1965. I was a Direct Warrant from basically civilian life based on the fact I had a Commercial/Instrument Rating ( Fixed Wing) and passed the Qualification Exam. Warrants were called Sir and saluted just as Commissioned Officers were. A FEW Real Officers used the term Chief in addressing me but I "mentioned" the fact I was not in the Navy where the term is and was highly used for CPO's which is another highly regard rank. Anyhow Mister was then used by these folks. When the Commissioning deal came down I was a CW3 in the IRR and was sent a form to accept or decline same. Accepting, I had to be sworn in by a Commissioned Officer. By chance a friend of my Step son was home on leave from the Rangers and he did the job for me.He was a 1st Lt. The status of the WO has increased over the years and senior warrants ( W4 and W5) have a huge input in Aviation Units in the Army.

Thank you for your service and first hand perspective on the transformation of the CWO to a commissioned rank. I was ready to reply to the one gentleman who stated that a CWO was not a real commissioned officer.

We in the Coast Guard do not have the WO1 (or sadly, CWO5) rank anymore. Is it true that the first warrant rank is not considered to be a commissioned officer, even today?

MastersMate

In the not too, too distant past (1980), the Warrant Officer, from a Coast Guard perspective.

Each November was the Warrant Officers Examination. If you could wrangle a recommendation, you took an written examination and kept your fingers crossed. By April a promotion list was mailed out and In June the promotion cycle started.

One would receive an original appointment as a Warrant Officer (W-1) signed by the Secretary of Transportation. This was the only time that your specialty was stated and assigned on the paperwork. You were a warranted officer, but not commissioned. On that same day,you were a Permanent W-1 and temporarily promoted to Chief Warrant Officer W-2 (temporary) and you received a commission signed by the President. Three years as a Temp W-2 you would be promoted to Permanent W-2. Then if you retired, it was as a W-2. If you retired before permanent W-2 you were retire as a W-1. At 4 years you could be selected for temporary W-3. At seven years you were made a permanent W-3. At eight years you could be selected for W-4 temporary, then I think it was 2 years to be permanent W-4..

What is interesting is that my original Warrant reads almost word for word to the Warrants that were issued in the Revenue Cutter Service in 1906.

Spathologist

Is it true that the first warrant rank is not considered to be a commissioned officer, even today?

A warrant officer does not receive a commission until Chief Warrant Officer 2.

Spathologist

Is there an ACU W5 rank that looks like the older style with the boxes and not the single black bar?

Probably not.

The stripe was adopted in August 2004, and the UCP was adopted in mid-late 2004, with uniforms appearing several months later.

• 2 years later...

Hello all, I wonder if someone can tell me a bit more about these bullion made warrant officer (junior grade) rank insignia. If possible I would like to know what era the belong to and where they were made. All thoughts are appreciated.

post-169612-0-68813900-1525877547_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-41661000-1525877461_thumb.jpg

Rene

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
Salvage Sailor

Another early photo - Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Engineers, Schofield Barracks T.H. 1920

Detail from yardlong, Warrant Officer beside Top Sergeant. Of interest is the Rising Eagle insignia which Emerson notes as being created in March 1921 but the yardlong is clearly dated 1920

HD 3rd Engineers 600 dpi 001 h.jpg

Another early photo - Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Engineers, Schofield Barracks T.H. 1920

Detail from yardlong, Warrant Officer beside Top Sergeant. Of interest is the Rising Eagle insignia which Emerson notes as being created in March 1921 but the yardlong is clearly dated 1920

Very cool. I'd guess somebody got the date wrong after the fact. The WO insignia was announced in a summary of upcoming changes to the uniform regulations dated 16 March 1921, but the final design and samples were not sent to the Quartermaster Department until May. The did appear in the new edition of uniform regulations dated 14 Oct 1921. Also "bright" buttons and cap/collar devices didn't come in till 1923.

Warrant officer during World War II wearing the WO cap badge and Air Corps branch insignia.

That's interesting. Either a WO wearing the wrong branch insignia, or a flight officer without wings. I'd guess the former.

That's interesting. Either a WO wearing the wrong branch insignia, or a flight officer without wings. I'd guess the former.

Fact! Here is one more AAF WO/FO without wings.

post-75-0-74182700-1579625386_thumb.jpg

Fact! Here is one more AAF WO/FO without wings.

That's great. I think you'd be safe to call that one a WO, it's totally regulation for cap and collar devices and no sleeve braid.

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if Army WO ranks for the DBDU/DCU were brown-on-tan? I'm familiar with the nametags and US ARMY tapes in brown. Always thought the rank was either pin-on-subdued or black-on-tan embroidered.

DesertCW3.jpg