Favorite Movie Lines.

patches

Did you mean "Objective Burma" with Errol Flynn yes that seems to upset some people but still a good movie.

Richard Loo right, it was an interesting period as we do know that wartime movies did use only Chinese, some filipinos thrown in to play the Japs, I don't believe there was a single Japanese extra that was ever used in the wartime hollywood films, or for that matter any U.S. Government or U.S. Armed Forces instructional/training or propaganda films.

A little of the Topic, I now wonder if the British ever made any wartime motion pictures during the course of the war that dealt with their end of the Pacific War, Singapore of course but more importantly Burma, ( NOT object Burma :lol: there was a older topic that got PM on the movie, alot acrimonious backs and forths by members from both sides of the Atlantic :lol:) but also training films by the British Army for the troops going to the Far East or just in general for His Majesty's Armed Forces.

post-2776-0-89034500-1356478642.jpg

history-buff1944

From: "Go For Broke" the German Captain/Major just captured by the Lt and his "nips" "What are they?...Chinese?" The German captured was the future Sergeant Schultz on: Hogan's Heroes.

From: "Go For Broke" the German Captain/Major just captured by the Lt and his "nips" "What are they?...Chinese?" The German captured was the future Sergeant Schultz on: Hogan's Heroes.

If you recall, Van Johnson replied to the German, NO! they're Japanese, did you hear that they are on our side now, or switched sides, or something to that effect, that was real funny.

If you recall, Van Johnson replied to the German, NO! they're Japanese, did you hear that they are on our side now, or switched sides, or something to that effect, that was real funny.

Also a funny part was, the part when the English speaking German, speaking admittly with a German accent, tries to break in to a Nisei unit's radio net, remember, he's like using a Japanese name, like This Sergeant Takamora, speaking or was it Takinashi or something, I can't remember the last name :lol: That he had this German accent was the kicker, also that the boys knew it was a ploy and kept replying in Japanese, and letting German go on and on :lol:

From the classic Catch 22.

DANBY: "weather conditions have improved tremendously over the mainland, so you won't have any trouble at all seeing the target. Of course, we mustn't forget, that means they won't have any trouble at all seeing you."

Rich

history-buff1944

I do remember his lines but couldnt remember enough to try quoting. I think he also called them "Twilight Fighters" or something of that nature ;-)) Thanks for this though.

history-buff1944

Also a funny part was, the part when the English speaking German, speaking admittly with a German accent, tries to break in to a Nisei unit's radio net, remember, he's like using a Japanese name, like This Sergeant Takamora, speaking or was it Takinashi or something, I can't remember the last name :lol: That he had this German accent was the kicker, also that the boys knew it was a ploy and kept replying in Japanese, and letting German go on and on :lol:

As yesss. I THINK the name he used was: Yasukimoto or somehting like that? I need to watch that movie again soon. Also, that German looks alot like a great character actor (cant recall his anme off-hand) but he plpayed the part of "Ice Pick" on Magnum P.I.

Salvage Sailor

There have been several citations to "A Bridge Too Far"

Many of the best lines were delivered by Michael Caine playing Irish Guards Lt. Colonel Vandeleur. Caine went to great lengths to deliver the actual words spoken by Vandeleur who was on location during the filming and thus could be consulted for accuracy:

Grenadier Guards Major: How the hell do they expect us to keep schedule on a road like this?

Vandeleur: You don't know the worst. This bit we're on now?

Grenadier Guards major: Yes?

Vandeleur: It's the wide part.

Lt. Col. J.O.E. Vandeleur: Remember what the general said; we're the cavalry. It would be bad form to arrive in advance of schedule. In the nick of time would do nicely.

Col. Robert Stout: I'm Bobby Stout.

Lt. Col. J.O.E. Vandeleur: Have you ever been liberated before?

Col. Robert Stout: I got divorced twice, does that count?

Lt. Col. J.O.E. Vandeleur: That counts.

history-buff1944

Here's an oldie but goodie:

"The Ankletooth is a great ship--that's a fu____g lie!" s said by: Mickey Schaunnessey in the service comedy: Don't Go near the Water."

• 1 month later...
history-buff1944

Ahhh, I think he used the name: Sgt. Yasukimoto (SP?) or somehting like that. :lol::lol:

Capt Willard [Apocalypse Now]

"Charlie didn't get much USO. He was dug in too deep or moving too fast. His idea of great R&R was cold rice and a little rat meat. He had only two ways home: death, or victory"

"When I was here, I wanted to be there; when I was there, all I could think of was getting back into the jungle. I'm here a week now... waiting for a mission... getting softer. Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger"

Another from the Sands of Iwo Jima comes to mind. John Wayne on the beach as the Marines are held down behind a short sea wall and one guy wants to get up and move before being told to move. Wayne trips him up and says:.

"If you're nervous, count your toes. I'll do the masterminding around here."

Gettysburg;

The most moving quote, shortly after the battle as Gen. Pickett (Stephen Lang) approaches Gen. Lee obviously in shock

Lee says (something to the nature of), "General Pickett assemble your division and prepare for a counter attack."

Pickett replies visibly distressed, "General Lee I have no division."

Band of Brothers.

Winters to a Lt. (Jimmy Fallon) who brought them ammo before marching into Bastogne.

Lt., "Looks like you might be surrounded."

Winters, "We're paratroopers Lt., we're supposed to be surrounded."

Another one from We Were Soldiers :

Trooper - Moore : " Gary Owen , Sir . "

Ed

"Good morning Sergeant Major"

"How do you know what kind of goddam day it is?"

"it's a beautiful morning Sergeant Major"

"What are you a F-cking weatherman now?"

Though the film isn't a military film per se, the main character (Creasy) played by Denzel Washington is a former SpecOps soldier now working as a body guard in Mexico.

Rayburn (played by Christopher Walken) speaks about Creasy's new mission:

A man can be an artist... in anything, food, whatever. It depends on how good he is at it. Creasy's art is death. He's about to paint his masterpiece.

Hard to beat " I love the smell of Napalm in the morning." from Apocalypse Now.

One not so well known from the Devil's Brigade.

Canadian CO "There will be no more derogatory insults against the Yanks."

Canadian Corporal " Would ordinary insults be in order sir? "