Favorite Movie Lines.

patches

"We know how hard it is for you to get an army across the channel. The last "Little Corporal" to try that came a cropper, so please don't start dictating terms to us until you're marching up Whitehall....and even then we won't listen!"

Sir Ralph Richardson as the British Ambassador addressing Hitler's envoy in the movie "The Battle of Britain".

I don't recall the whole dialogue, but from the scene in The Longest Day when a dummy parachutist (incorrect version) is brought into the office of German general, "Ein gummipuppen! Jawhol! Amerikansicher gummipuppen, Herr General!"

This became a war cry for my Civil War reenactment unit, often paraphrased as "Gummipuppen, Vorwats!"

The Green Berets (1968) Sgt. Muldoon talking to reporter George Beckworth.

George Beckworth: How do you know we should be fighting for this present government of South Vietnam? They have no constitution. They haven't had any free elections. And six months ago, a committee was appointed to form a constitution... and still no constitution.

Sergeant Muldoon: The school I went to, Mr. Beckworth, taught us that the thirteen colonies, with proper and educated leadership, all with the same goal in mind, AFTER the Revolutionary War, took from 1776 to 1787, eleven years of peaceful effort, before they came up with a paper that all thirteen colonies would sign... our present Constitution.

[the audience applauds]

George Beckworth: That's very good, Sergeant. But there are still a lot of people who believe that this is simply a war between the Vietnamese people! It's their war, let's let them handle it.

Sergeant Muldoon: Let them handle it, Mr. Beckworth?

[Points to a collection of weapons]

Sergeant Muldoon: Captured weaponry.

[as Muldoon takes the weapons from the board, he names them, then drops them on the table in front of Beckworth]

Sergeant Muldoon: From Red China: Chicom K-50 sub-machine gun... Chinese communist! SKS Soviet-made semi-automatic carbine... Russian communist! Ammunition, Czechoslovakian-made... Czech communist! No sir, Mr. Beckworth! It doesn't take a lead weight to fall on me or a hit from one of those weapons to recognize that what's involved here is communist domination of the world!

history-buff1944

George Beckworth: How do you know we should be fighting for this present government of South Vietnam? They have no constitution. They haven't had any free elections. And six months ago, a committee was appointed to form a constitution... and still no constitution.

Sergeant Muldoon: The school I went to, Mr. Beckworth, taught us that the thirteen colonies, with proper and educated leadership, all with the same goal in mind, AFTER the Revolutionary War, took from 1776 to 1787, eleven years of peaceful effort, before they came up with a paper that all thirteen colonies would sign... our present Constitution.

[the audience applauds]

George Beckworth: That's very good, Sergeant. But there are still a lot of people who believe that this is simply a war between the Vietnamese people! It's their war, let's let them handle it.

[as Muldoon takes the weapons from the board, he names them, then drops them on the table in front of Beckworth]

Sergeant Muldoon: From Red China: Chicom K-50 sub-machine gun... Chinese communist! SKS Soviet-made semi-automatic carbine... Russian communist! Ammunition, Czechoslovakian-made... Czech communist! No sir, Mr. Beckworth! It doesn't take a lead weight to fall on me or a hit from one of those weapons to recognize that what's involved here is communist domination of the world!

Exellent quote... I thought of this oen but had no time to write down and post here.

history-buff1944

One (of many) from: Full Metal jacket: "Inside every gook, is an American trying to get out." A Colonel dressing down Pvt Joker when he was caught wearing the peace symbol on his "Born To Kil" helmet.

A line from Patton, he has just got some heavy flak from Beetle Smith over the phone about his stance on the Commies, Smith calls him Mad and hangs up, at that moment he's sitting for what we now know is a finished portrait ( in the film it gives the impression it was not completed). In disgust he walks away from the painter and say's this immortal line.

Nobody Wants To See A Picture Of Me...... I"M MAD!

post-34986-0-07857500-1353874165.jpg

Here's a classic from a Bridge too Far

[an SS officer is approaching under a white flag]

Major Harry Carlyle: Rather interesting development, sir.

[to the German]

Major Harry Carlyle: That's far enough! We can hear you from there!

SS Panzer Officer: My general says there is no point in continuing this fighting! He wishes to discuss terms of a surrender!

Major Harry Carlyle: Shall I answer him, sir?

Lt. Col. John Frost: Tell him to go to hell.

Major Harry Carlyle: We haven't the proper facilities to take you all prisoner! Sorry!

SS Panzer Officer: [confused] What?

Major Harry Carlyle: We'd like to, but we can't accept your surrender! Was there anything else?

[German officer walks off]

Lt. Col. John Frost: Well, that's that.

[the officer returns to General Bittrich, and they converse in German]

SS Panzer Officer: They rejected our surrender offer. What are your orders, Herr General?

Lt. General Bittrich: Flatten Arnhem.

BRING UP THE PIAT!

post-34986-0-17877700-1353874597.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed that the image of Patton against the backdrop of Ol' Glory appears to be reversed! That's how it was on the net. :o

A reversed image :lol: that pile of medals is on the left side of the photo, not the right side.

Had to include this line, a line off-repeated Army wide ever since it was first heard in this movie.

Private Veile takes out a machine gun nest, first pineapple bounces off wounding him pretty bad in the right shoulder and arm, he gets the next one in the opening.

post-34986-0-76300500-1355373786.jpg

Later after he's sent back to be treated, he comes back up front.

1st Lieutenant Joe Clemons (Gregory Peck) to a wounded Private Veile (Robert Blake).

post-34986-0-08825000-1355373803_thumb.jpg

I have always loved the quote below. I've been to the bridge they filmed the "Arnhem" scenes at (actually a much smaller bridge at Deventer, Netherlands) and if the spot where the House they built for the move wasn't a parking lot by then (and was before the movie), I wanted so badly to yell that out from the same spot. I couldn't resist repeating the lines that the flamethrower team said as they crept up the same steps I went up after getting out of the car to look around...

We haven't the proper facilities to take you all prisoner! Sorry!

I got to use that once in the Army, doing OPFOR and some dismounts thought they had us surrounded (but couldn't see us), and an eager butter bar yelled out if we'd be willing to talk a surrender. I yelled that back, and all the NCOs (his, mine and the observers) could be heard choking back their laughter for a while afterward. I also clearly heard the TAC ask the LT, "Okay, LT, he just showed you who's boss, what are you gonna do now?"

This is one of my favorite war movies and that is one of the best scenes in the movie. Here is the whole scene:

[the audience applauds]

• 2 weeks later...

The ultimate sacrifice. Black Hawk Down. RIP boys...

Goffena: C-2, Shughart and Gordon are on the deck. Over.

Harrell: Roger.

(Gordon taps on Durrant's window)

Gordon: Friendlies.

Durant: God it's good to see you.

Gordon: It's good to see you. How bad?

Durant: My leg's broken and my back feels kind of weird.

Gordon: We've gotta get you ou of here buddy. Pulling him out, cover.

(Gordon slings his M14 and takes Durant under his arms)

Durant: Wait, I-(screams)

Gordon: Put you down.

Shughart: C-2, we're at the 6-4 crash site, securing perimeter.

Harrell: Roger that.

Shughart: You all right?

Durant: Yeah, I'm good.

(Shugart hand Gordon his MP5)

Shughart: You're locked and loaded, any skinnies come around these corners, you watch our backs.

Durant: Hey, where's the rescue squad?

Shughart: We're it.

(Later in film. Crowd of Sommolians are pelting the Delta's with rocks, only a few have AKs, and they are scattered around the chopper. Dozens are rushing the small perimeter.)

Gordon: Loading.

Shughart: Loading.

Gordon: Randy, I need a pistol mag.

Shughart: Loading.

Gordon: Randy, last mag. (shot in head)

Shughart: GORDY!! :). Gordy's gone man. I'll be outside. Good luck.

We all know what happens next. Lets remember this true scene of courage before we rush into any more wars...

From God is My Co-Pilot, spoken by Tokyo Joe. "Where are you gangsters? Come on up and get a load of that scrap metal you sold us!"

Who that? he don't look Japanese, is it the Chinese American actor Key Luke :lol:

He is Richard Loo. He has Chinese ancestry, and was born in Hawaii. I think he steals the show. "How do you like them for apples YANK!"

Steve

Richard Loo right, it was an interesting period as we do know that wartime movies did use only Chinese, some filipinos thrown in to play the Japs, I don't believe there was a single Japanese extra that was ever used in the wartime hollywood films, or for that matter any U.S. Government or U.S. Armed Forces instructional/training or propaganda films.

A little of the Topic, I now wonder if the British ever made any wartime motion pictures during the course of the war that dealt with their end of the Pacific War, Singapore of course but more importantly Burma, ( NOT object Burma :lol: there was a older topic that got PM on the movie, alot acrimonious backs and forths by members from both sides of the Atlantic :lol:) but also training films by the British Army for the troops going to the Far East or just in general for His Majesty's Armed Forces.