How to remove tape residue from an M1 helmet?

Tasken_Lander

Tasken_Lander

I have a M1 helmet that the previous owner applied white tape to the back of for NCO identification. I want to remove it but its leaving little gummy spots. How to remove this without damaging/removing the paint to the helmet?

Thank you

Normal rubbing alchol will work if used sparingly.There is also citrus based adhesive removers that are better for paint than goof off or similiar products

Minerals spirits might work well, at least to separate the actual physical tape from the thin layer of adhesive that will be left on the surface of the helmet, if applied directly and only to the area of the tape, let soak, and then gently from one corner test to see if it pulls away without taking any helmet paint/cork off.

I like mineral spirits because it isn't petroleum based, which means that any residue on hard surfaces will usually clean up nicely using only mild soap and water.

Still, by deciding to remove the tape there is a high probability that the area underneath it will be a different color than the rest of the helmet no matter what kind of solvent you use.

11thcavsniper

I used to buy old kids lunch boxes and they usually had old marks and dried on masking tape etc. The very best stuff I found to remove these things was called Ta-Poff. It does contain Low Volatile Petroleum Distillates and Amyl Acetate but never hurt the finish of items I used it on. It was made by Ulmer Pharmacal Company. I can't seem to find this product anymore so I use what I have left on my important items. There is a product called Medi-Sol that I haven't tried, but it is used to remove tape, grease, etc. from skin so should be safe on paint, etc. and still remove the tape. L.T.

I have a M1 helmet that the previous owner applied white tape to the back of for NCO identification. I want to remove it but its leaving little gummy spots. How to remove this without damaging/removing the paint to the helmet?

Thank you

Mate,

Why mess with it ?? If it is infact an NCO 'follow me' insignia, leave it alone it is an original part of the helmet. You are doing more damage by fiddling with it. Originality is the key to buying/collecting M1 helmets in my opinion. If I was to see this helmet for sale in the future, and noticed that it had been tampered with, I wouldnt touch it as the first thing that enters my mind is "what else hase been messed with" it all effects resale and collectability in the future.

These are my opinions, it is at the end of the day your helmet.

Cheers

Sean

Mate,

Why mess with it ?? If it is infact an NCO 'follow me' insignia, leave it alone it is an original part of the helmet. You are doing more damage by fiddling with it. Originality is the key to buying/collecting M1 helmets in my opinion. If I was to see this helmet for sale in the future, and noticed that it had been tampered with, I wouldnt touch it as the first thing that enters my mind is "what else hase been messed with" it all effects resale and collectability in the future.

These are my opinions, it is at the end of the day your helmet.

Cheers

Sean

Fully agree with Sean on this. Don't remove it. I have my wife's grandfather's liner from D-Day plus 10. The follow-me stripe is also applied tape.

Tim

Tasken_Lander

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions. Though I feel like I may have unintentionally mislead y'all as the helmet is a post war helmet painted to look like a WWII pot. It was just a preference that the NCO bar be removed for my display purposes.

Though now I am considering just leaving it after all. Though its good to know I have a few options *if* I ever decide to try to remove it.

Mike