US Navy Grapnel USN GRAPPLING HOOK

I concur with FS, it would have been used with 'whaleboats" and other small craft.

RC

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 1 month later...

That's a cool hook!

I collect items from The Battle of Iwo Jima (1945).

Top Iwo Jima Items I'm Looking For:

1) IDed 5th MarDiv Corpsman Jumper or Forest Green Coat.

2) IDed Coast Guard Navy Jumper

3) IDed CB's Sea Bee's Navy Jumper

4) IDed 147th Infantry Regiment Army Service Coat

5) IDed 32nd ID Army Service Coat (Occupation Kyushu with 5th MarDiv).

I am always looking for named and dated WWII USMC Forest Green wool alpha jackets/coats from the 5th Marine Division or other units who participated in the battle.

My Blog "Marines In Forest Green" http://marinesinfore...n.blogspot.com/

• 5 years later...

Yep, boat hook, but not U.S.

I've got a USN boat hook & a grappling hook in my warehouse. When I dig them out I'll post some photos for reference.

USN 15 FATHOM GRAPNEL i.e. Grappling Hook - Standard USN galvanized Grapnel with one fathom case hardened chain and fourteen fathoms of Manila line (for you landlubbers, 1 Fathom = 6 feet)

USN Grappling Hook 002.jpg

USN Grappling Hook 008.jpg

Minor bit of trivia concerning the groove in the handle of the boathook. It was attached to the hook with the groove aligned with the direction of the hook. In the dark you could tell by feeling the groove, which way the hook was oriented..

Concerning the fathom. When I went to the USN Signalman school at Newport, RI, the Chief Signalman explained to us that the fathom was a measurement of 6 feet, the required height to be to enlist in the CG, and was the length of the tack line used to separate flag signal hoists. He noted to us Coasties, the signal bridge 'slang' term for tack line was ENSIGN, meaning 6 feet of nothing..

• 1 year later...
On 8/5/2018 at 11:36 AM, Salvage Sailor said:

USN GRAPNEL

USN Grappling Hook 004a.jpg

USN Grappling Hook 006.jpg

Any background on where this grapple came from - been looking for one for the WWII 83 footer we are restoring

Thanks

Matt

Aloha Matt,

The grapple came from a Natick class YTB after they were decommissioned at Pearl Harbor (Ford Island).  It was either from the Nashua before she was scuttled off of Ewa as a training hulk or the Waxahachie before she went to MDSU-1 as IX-545