US Navy Grapnel USN 15 FATHOM GRAPPLING HOOK & 9' BOAT HOOK

Sainte.mere.eglise

Hi

This kind of grapnelwas found abord the wreck of a ship in the Normandy coast. Do you know exactly what is it ?

post-9694-0-70590100-1352910176_thumb.jpg

Thank you for your help

Best regards

Bob from France

That doesn't look like a grapnel, more like a boat hook, which fits on the end of a pole. Typically a boat hook has one curved arm and one straight one, but both are curved on this.

Here's the standard style:

boathook.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Yep, boat hook, but not U.S.

I've got a USN boat hook & a grappling hook in my warehouse. When I dig them out I'll post some photos for reference.

• 1 month later...
Salvage Sailor

Here's a USN Boathook that came off of a YTB (Yard Tug Boat) at Pearl Harbor. As Rusty said, it is also commonly used on Whaleboats, gigs, and other small craft throughout the fleet.

IMG_9541.JPG

IMG_9542.JPG

The shaft 9 feet long, is made of solid oak & has a groove cut into one side. It's finished with a heavy coat of boat varnish.

IMG_9539.JPG

IMG_9543.JPG

• 5 years later...
Salvage Sailor
On 11/21/2012 at 3:33 PM, Salvage Sailor said:

Yep, boat hook, but not U.S.

I've got a USN boat hook & a grappling hook in my warehouse. When I dig them out I'll post some photos for reference.

USN 15 FATHOM GRAPNEL i.e. Grappling Hook - Standard USN galvanized Grapnel with one fathom case hardened chain and fourteen fathoms of Manila line (for you landlubbers, 1 Fathom = 6 feet)

USN Grappling Hook 002.jpg

USN Grappling Hook 008.jpg

USN 15 FATHOM GRAPNEL - One Fathom case hardened chain

USN Grappling Hook 010.jpg

USN GRAPNEL

USN Grappling Hook 004a.jpg

USN Grappling Hook 006.jpg

There ya go......That's a USN 15 Fathom Grapnel, prepare to board!

USN Grappling Hook 007.jpg

MastersMate

Minor bit of trivia concerning the groove in the handle of the boathook. It was attached to the hook with the groove aligned with the direction of the hook. In the dark you could tell by feeling the groove, which way the hook was oriented..

Concerning the fathom. When I went to the USN Signalman school at Newport, RI, the Chief Signalman explained to us that the fathom was a measurement of 6 feet, the required height to be to enlist in the CG, and was the length of the tack line used to separate flag signal hoists. He noted to us Coasties, the signal bridge 'slang' term for tack line was ENSIGN, meaning 6 feet of nothing..

Salvage Sailor

I'm sure he also let you know that 6' was the minimum height for Coasties so they could walk to shore if their boat sank.....

• 1 year later...
wanderingwillys
On 8/5/2018 at 11:36 AM, Salvage Sailor said:

USN GRAPNEL

USN Grappling Hook 004a.jpg

USN Grappling Hook 006.jpg

Any background on where this grapple came from - been looking for one for the WWII 83 footer we are restoring

Thanks

Matt

Salvage Sailor

Aloha Matt,

The grapple came from a Natick class YTB after they were decommissioned at Pearl Harbor (Ford Island).  It was either from the Nashua before she was scuttled off of Ewa as a training hulk or the Waxahachie before she went to MDSU-1 as IX-545