U.S.Navy slip on ranks

hhbooker2

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Here is something you just don't see each and every day, slip on ranks for Commodores, Rear Admirals, Vice Admirals, Admirals, and Fleet Admirals. As you can see, they sure look quite different than those used now by Flag Rank Naval Officers. w00t.gif Sarge Booker of Tujungam California ( [email protected] ) (These two are for Fleet Admiral and full Admiral)

post-837-1203484815.jpg

post-837-1203485325.jpg

• 9 years later...

Where did you find these. I'm not sure if they are authentic. They look good though. The soft shoulder boards of the flag officers whom I work with are identical in design to the hard boards they wear.

Flag officer "soft" boards with stripes were authorized c. 1981-1985. Of course, to fit on the board the stripes had to be scaled-down from the sleeve size. This was similar to the British navy, where flag officers still have dress boards, gold with silver devices, and working, with stripes.

When I was a kid there was a TV show where Dennis Weaver played an admiral and wore those boards. I thought they had made a mistake, but years later I found that they were correct.

Wow, almost a full decade to the day since the last post!

Justin B.

Might be interesting to find which USN uniform items that had shoulder straps to be able to wear these soft shoulder marks..

Long sleeve white shirt ??

Wind Breaker jacket ??

Rain Coat ??

Wooly Pully sweater ??

It was the long-sleeve white shirt first, worn under the SD Blue, and the women's short-sleeve summer shirt for a few years before they came out with a smaller size of hard shoulder boards. And the v-neck wooly-pully.

If I recall correctly, for the Coast Guard...

We got the wooly pully (AF blue) about 1984sh but the soft shoulder marks were not authorized. By about 1986sh, the AF changed the style of their light blue shirts to include shoulder straps on both short and long sleeve shirts. The short sleeve was worn with the tropical blue and the long sleeve with the service dress blue. About that time the soft shoulder marks were adopted for the sweater and for those new style USAF shirts. You cold see the "old style" hard boards and "new style" soft boards on tropical blue and the 'hard boards' on tropical blue for a few years during the overlap. I believe it was about 1992sh that the new USAF style was mandated. The CG slipped a stiffener into the soft marks and called them 'enhanced shoulder boards'.. Made in a regular and a smaller size..