PLEASE READ: GARY MOHRLANG / GLM

ADMIN

It is with GREAT sadness that I write this.

One of our USMF family (and EG&A moderator), Gary Mohrlang, sadly passed away Sunday from a heart attack (apparently less than a day after his last posts here on Feb 16).

I worked closely with Gary (aka GLM) on the EG&A reference here. Not to mention I came to him with a good many questions. Always good natured and fun, Gary provided more than I even expected - plus he often included a little of his own personal whit with it. Of course, Gary had a vast knowledge of many other militaria subjects besides just EG&A's (take a look at any one of his 1, 169 posts).

Below is the email his son sent to the ADMIN email account with a message for all:

Hello,

My name is Jeff Mohrlang; I'm Gary's son. Sadly, Dad just passed away early

Sunday morning from a heart attack.

I just wanted to tell you all how much he appreciated being a member of the

forum. On his behalf I want to say thank you for being his friends and

fellow enthusiasts.

Regards,

Jeff

I know I speak for all of us when I say that we thank Gary for his friendship and dedication to the collecting community.

He is definitely someone this family of USMF members will greatly miss.

Rest in peace, Gary.

Your friend,

Chris

While I never actually got to meet Gary, we emailed several times as we were both from Colorado and had mutual friends. He was a great person, a great collector, and a great person who would share his vast knowledge. Gary, Semper Fi, from this old soldier...you will be missed.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

craig_pickrall

It is a sad day for us all. Rest in Peace, Gary.

I was wondering today where he was and thought maybe he had gone to SOS.

I am very sorry and saddened to hear about Gary. Just 2 weeks ago he and I were PM'ing each other back and forth about his recent purchase of a posthumous Mariners Medal group and how excited he was to get it. he always loved sharing his new acquisitions.

You will be missed my friend ,

Kurt

Gary was not only a knowledgeable person when it came to collecting, he had a huge heart. Last year he sent a large number of patches to help get my nephew start his collection and did not ask for anything in return. He will be sorely missed.

My heart and prayers go out to his family. May the Good Lord welcome him with open arms.

I'm not able to jump on here as much as I used to, or would like, and never really knew this fella. But I am saddened, nonetheless.

I'm not a praying kind of guy, but will keep Gary's friends and family in my thoughts.

Fade to Black...

This is absolutly shocking. Gary was a really fine man, he helped me out quite a few times. I remember that he told me about his father who was in the 1st Inf. Div. (Big Red One) who was wounded in the Hurtgen Battle in '44. I was making a dysplay back then with all the patches of the Divisions who fought in the Hurtgen, but I couldnt find the Big Red One patch. Gary saw this and said:

''Just got done looking at your 28th ID display and you mentioned you still don't have the 1st ID patch for your Hurtgen Forest display. Can't have that!! My dad was 1st ID and severly wounded in the Hurtgen Forest in Nov 1944, so you need one to show 1st Division involvement in that battle.''

Gary send me a greenback patch I needed to finish my dysplay. He also was a very friendly man and we emailed quite some times.

Thank you Gary, you were a great man. I will treasure the patch you gave me.

My condolences to his family and may Gary rest in Peace!

Sebas

This is truely a shock. I communicated a bit with Gary on another board in the past. I pray for him and his family in these trying times.

John

Salvage Sailor

I haven't been on this site very long, but Gary Mohrlang had taken the time to start a PM corespondence with me regarding his late uncle Al Mohrlang who was a WWII Fleet Tug (Salvage) sailor. He was very courteous and friendly, offering to research the subject further with our association.

It's always a pleasure when a person takes the time to help out simply because of a common interest.

Fair winds and following seas Gary,

glm1.jpg

glm3.jpg

glm2.jpg

As a 57-year-old survivor of a major heart attack, my prayers go out to his family who must be in shock. Unlike so many illnesses, usually all seems well up to the moment we are stricken so our loved ones are quite unprepared for what has happened. I got lucky, but just a couple days ago I was reflecting on how one change in circumstances, such as taking five minutes longer to get to the hospital, could have turned my wife's shock into grief. Now to read about Gary and how he was not so lucky as I, well it brings tears to my eyes for Maria, Jeff and the others he left behind. I hope they have a chance to learn about how others, people who mostly never met him in person or heard his voice also miss him as a friend and brother.

Gary was a friend and mentor. We emailed frequently and since he lives in Colorado we had talked about getting together.

This is a complete shock and I am totally at a loss for words.

I am just crushed,,,,for several years we had been PM'ing, phoning, exchanging Christmas cards...Gary was so kind and so free with his advice and his gudiance...this man was a true mentor and friend. I will miss him. Rest in peace Gary....words cant express how deeply your loss effects me.

Schnicklfritz

My condolences and prayers go out to his family. I pray the Lord will grant him eternal peace. Although I didn't know Gary, I enjoy reading his posts as they are very informative and he always conducted himself as a gentleman of the hobby. His contributions to this forum are one of the aspects that make it as good as it is. He will be sadly missed.

Marc

Greg Robinson

Because of my own health problems I no longer have the energy to be proactive in this hobby and try to get to know my fellow collectors and forum members as I'd like to. And in the case of Gary, among others, it's my loss. So I didn't know Gary but it sounds like he was a good guy and a good forum member. He'll be missed.

My condolences go out to his family.

Greg

My deepest sympathy goes out to his family.

Although I do not know him personally and his field of collecting is not mine, I read his posts on the EGA.

They were very interesting and informative.

He will be missed here at USMF.

Erwin