Nickel USMC 'Band' Emblems

Brig

Just picked these up yesterday. We talked awhile back about nickel screwback emblems possibly being used by the band. I was told these originally came with some misc band chevrons and such, so that's a good sign. These are plated, not painted and not stamped Bannerman's, very heavy, highly detailed pieces. The emblem on the left appears to be some kind of painting, there are tool marks inside that cut in and appear to be brass underneath. Hadn't seen the variant on the right in silver before. Very interesting emblems

101_0702.JPG

The one on the left has solder residue so it was probably converted from wire attachment. The one on the right looks like a normal brass one that was plated.

Far too thick to be converted from a wire attachment variant...I have half a dozen different wire variants and none have the weight of this. Typical cover emblem weight

As far as the nickel emblems go, I imagine that simply plating would be a simple method of converting these for band use, or whoever they were intended for

It might be one of the original samples provided by Horstmann for 1897 caps that was later converted to nickel. No photos of 4 samples originally provided. Cost of the first post EGA was many times more expensive so hence maybe why the thickness is there.Have original documentation to these samples and costs etc.

• 1 year later...
normaninvasion

Good stuff! The cover piece on the right is very unique. Any ideas why the collar was plated? Seems like there is a never ending supply of variations!

Nice examples Brig. Lots of variation with plated, nickle, and all sterling. I pick them up from time to time as well. I have at least 20 different variations of hat collar and epaulette insignia. Would post a photo but I guess photobucket is no longer allowed by "the administrator does not allow links to". Jawohl, mein fuhrer!

S/F,

Mike

Are you on a government computer or non-personal server? We haven't blocked photobucket images at all, though some guys are having issues with certain servers

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...