Star of Service/Blue Star Flags

hhbooker2

I’d like to bring this old topic back up to get everyone thoughts on the service banner I recently picked up. I has been unceremoniously tucked away in an antique shop I visit every so often for years. Well this time I decided to give it a new home. What I like about it is each star has a name. I goggled some of the names last night and found that many of the names are related by marriage and are from around the MASON County Texas area. I think they may all represent WWI service. I found one of the names linked to a grave at FT Sam Houston; Monroe Bernhard 90th Div 343 MG BN and another, Elgin Leifeste had PFC WW1 on his grave marker.

I found a lot of the names relate to the LEIFESTE name through marriage and I believe and there are several sets of names that are defiantly related. The flag originally had 12 stars and another 5 were added along with a final name on a slip of paper that time has since reclaimed. The original 12 stars can be seen on both sides of the banner while the added ones are only on one side.

any idea what the red ribbon in each star represents? Overseas service?

Thanks for looking, TOM

post-1604-1334517535.jpg

post-1604-1334517550.jpg