Look what showed up on my “desk” at work.

Brian Keith

But, my desk is a slab of plywood setting on top of two, two drawer file cabinets, located on a Forward Operating Base in a combat zone. We earned these after 30 days here. It is actually embarrassing how much “fruit salad” I have compared to the dozens of WW II uniforms I have where more than three ribbons is the exception, even with CIB’s and such.

Interesting in that it has the European style pins on the back to attach the medal to the uniform.

MSG BKW

post-1549-0-49342500-1352649328.jpg

The times have changed and so have the medals offered to soldiers.

On thing that haven't changed is the fact that you EARNED this medal.....wear it proudly!! :(

Thanks for all the comments guys. There was no certificate, it just was on my desk one morning when I came to work. Nobody said much about them.

MSG BKW

Thanks for all the comments guys. There was no certificate, it just was on my desk one morning when I came to work. Nobody said much about them.

MSG BKW

If it makes a difference.....let them know how WE feel :excl:

As said already, you earned it.

Here is my son's from a couple of years ago.

Notice the ribbon has no ISAF bar.

Makers mark on back of medal and makers complete name and address on back of box.

Terry

post-629-0-71333300-1353114041.jpg

post-629-0-41161100-1353114085_thumb.jpg

post-629-0-16975700-1353114119_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments guys.

Terry K, I had to look on the back of the box of my example and there is a monogram "AB" in a circle, also, on the reverse of mine, there is no "E" on the suspension ring. So mine is a different maker than your son's. Interesting. Thanks for showing it. Don't know why I didn't shoot a photo of the back of mine to show.

MSG BKW

Thank you for your service, be safe. When I got my Air Force Good Conduct there was another person involved. "Hey Tubman, catch" and it was tossed to me from across the room.

Should be a document to go with it...oversized glossy thing with NATO nation flags on the border

I had to laugh when I got mine. It's funny enough they award non-anodized we can't wear, even more hilarious this one has the devices we don't recognize

I recently found a 91 dated Boxed SW Asia Medal in a drawer at Battalion. Funny where these things show up

....... they award non-anodized we can't wear........

Brig,

I thought that the Corps left the choice of anodized medals up to the individual Marine??

THIS POST IS NOT MEANT TO HI-JACK THIS THREAD!!!

Yes and no...if you have non-anodized medals, you need to have non-anodized brass and buttons...The PX doesn't stock non-anodized buttons and brass anymore. So if you want it, you gotta find it elsewhere

• 4 weeks later...

The AB on your box means that it is manufactured by A. Bender a small medalmakers company in Germany. They received a contract by NATO in Mons, Belgium to supply them with these medals. There should always be an award certificate with it.

Mine, awarded in 2008, is marked E which indeed means the Belgian company of Eekelers-Centini in Brussels.

Funny thing is that the AB version has a spellingmistake on the reverse of the medal. It reads DE IA LIBERTE insted of DE LA LIBERTE.

regards

Herman