Question on 1970 USAF chevrons.

born to late

Hello

When I was in Thailand in 1970 we wore theater made chevrons, name tapes & USAF of black on 107 OD on our jungle fatigues, when did the AF authorize the subdued chevrons of dark blue on OD? Were they made to replicate these theater made ones to the stateside troops or did they come later?

I read that the Army went to black on OD in the early 70's, but the AF didn't untill about 10 years later, is that correct?

I just don't remember wearing anything subdued in 1971 when I was back in the states & later discharged, I think we all went back to the blue & white colored?

Reason being is that I'm in the process of making up a set of fatigues, jungle and regular issue, from that era and I just can't wrap my old tired brain around what was exactly used then.

I can't find any of my original chevrons, guess I tossed them as I wore the jackets out after discharge, another stupid mistake!

Thank you for any help!

Terry

When I joined the USAF in 1978 we were told then that subdued insiginia was on the way, but I wore the colored insignia up to it's phase-out date which was 1 January 1981.

A little research revealed that the requirement to switch from full color to subdued stripes (dark blue on green) was promulgated in Air Force Regulation 35-10, dated 15 July 1977. Knowing how things work in the military, the new stripes were probably being worn before this date.

Reading this post also reminded me of a set of CMSgt stripes I have had tucked away for a long time. They were given to me by CMSgt Fred Hurst (now deceased) many years ago. At the time he gave them to me he told me he had them "made' while he was stationed at Da Nang AB. If you will notice, a U.S. made BLACK (not blue) on green MSgt stripes were modified by a local sew shop by adding the two upper chevrons. Fred wore these stripes on his jungle fatigues while in SEA.

One other comment, wear of jungle fatigues is/was not covered in AFR 35-10, so I am assuming they were addressed in local supplements, perhaps by PACAF or 7/13 Air Force. Anybody out there have a copy? Sure would like to add the info to my archives.

post-14361-0-09348900-1352685475.jpg

post-14361-0-22679600-1352685498.jpg

I was at Osan AB, ROK 1970/1971 and some of the S.P.'s wore them and you could by them in the tailor shop on base. Maybe it was a PACAF Regulation that covered them.

Thanks for the added info; we were under SAC in Thailand & everybody wore the black on jungle & any regular fatigue jackets that we had made there, so it wasn't just a PACAF thing.

Is there a web site to look at the reg. 35-10's from back in the 60's? all I can find are the newer ones.

Anybody have any extra US made USAF Stripes - Black on Green?

The black on green may be in the same catagory as chickens teeth? sure wish I hadn't tossed mine!

I'm going to try a fine tip black permanent marker on the blue thread to see if I can make it black and look good too.

The tailor shop on Osan sold them and I only bought a couple pair, I could atleast bought a full set. I have an old Ken Nolan catalog where they were less than a $1.00 a pair. They also had the wings black on green, for less than it cost to take a date to dinner and a movie I could have gotten a full set.

• 3 weeks later...

The tailor shop on Osan sold them and I only bought a couple pair, I could atleast bought a full set. I have an old Ken Nolan catalog where they were less than a $1.00 a pair. They also had the wings black on green, for less than it cost to take a date to dinner and a movie I could have gotten a full set.

Good. Someone else who dated the same kind of women I did ;-}