Time to Start Drooling (ebay 82nd AB group)

Timberwolf

There is a possible way to figure out the reserve price. Figure out about how much it would cost to appropriately ship this by 2 day UPS. Then subtract that from the expected $184 shipping cost, so approximately $160 in insurance and then figure out what $160 in insurance will get you and that will probably be close to the reserve.

Has anyone thrown the vets info up here so potential researching bidders have a fair chance to view these opinions? I will just in case.

Cpl Leslie G. Johnston

Anyway, if that's a party foul mods please remove.

At this point I wouldn't even trust the name.

That name tag could have been added to the group.

And nothing else has a name on it.

pathfinder505

And I am quite sure that the 82nd did not do MP duty at the Nuremberg trial.

It was the 508th MP battalion which had no connection to the 82nd AB or 508th PIR.

Now you are going to ruin everything for me. I am starting to doubt the easter bunny is real. :wacko:

Now you are going to ruin everything for me. I am starting to doubt the easter bunny is real. :wacko:

There is no Easter bunny, no Tooth Fairy & no Santa Claus. I figure that if I'm going to ruin your day I may as well do it good. ^_^

pathfinder505

There is no Easter bunny, no Tooth Fairy & no Santa Claus. I figure that if I'm going to ruin your day I may as well do it good. ^_^

You zapped the Tooth Fairy and Santa. Is nothing sacred anymore? :(

Wha...? :huh:

All these years...it's all been a lie!

Seller is kinda persistant about the 508th being honour guard in Berlin,but in fact they were in Frankfurt...so he throws in a Berlin edition Paraglide..on the Ike he forgot the Bronze spearhead Johnston got in the South of France. Seeing how meticulously complete everything is, the original owner would not have forgotten to put it on..

I'm a dumbass "new" collector, so my opinions don't matter, but if it is too good to be true..

:lol: Manny.....you're not letting an opportunity go by!! :lol:

JS,

I find this whole thing very disturbing.

I've collected groupings all my life right from the source.

I have and have had groupings with provenance coming from 10 different directions.

I sent you pictures of one some time ago that someone was trying to brow beat me into selling for cheap.

And here is a guy selling junk for crazy $$.

We have a collective power on this forum to do something about it.

But all we ( especially me ) do is voice our concern and joke when we should be burying this clown ( and ebay ) in in a

mountain of emails.

As collectors we need to start taking this matter seriously or we will all be collecting fakes.

I sit and watch but I do nothing.

I am enabling this guy ( or who ever they are ) to go on on their merry way.

This would not be tolerated in other fields.

JS,

I find this whole thing very disturbing.

I've collected groupings all my life right from the source.

I have and have had groupings with provenance coming from 10 different directions.

I sent you pictures of one some time ago that someone was trying to brow beat me into selling for cheap.

We have a collective power on this forum to do something about it.

But all we ( especially me ) do is voice our concern and joke when we should be burying this clown ( and ebay ) in in a

mountain of emails.

As collectors we need to start taking this matter seriously or we will all be collecting fakes.

I sit and watch but I do nothing.

I am enabling this guy ( or who ever they are ) to go on on their merry way.

This would not be tolerated in other fields.

Manny,

Nicely said. You are right we should do something about it. It seems this forum could have a section to help "call to action" its members for situations like this. BTW, I hope I wasn't the one "Brow Beating" you on a grouping. If so, it was my ignorance as I am new to this field of collecting. Apologies! This forum is great and I appreciate what it does for the collecting community.

Blademan you are innocent.

Folks please do not ask me if it was you as this isn't about that.

I was making a point about a true blue item vs. an item with deeply questionable provenance and outright fakes.

Hey guys don't stop joking and let's have fun with our hobby but at the same time we need to clean up the filth.

All we can do is report the seller to eBay. I'm sure that he has had several reports made on him already as a result of this forum. This is the best you can do. After that, we sit back and joke, criticize, critique' and analyze the item since we are not in a position to be law enforcement.

JS,

No Guys......it was me!! :)

At the last West Coast show, Manny was offering a legitimate $6000 group of medals for $5000. I made an offer for less, because I couldn't go full price....Manny declined.

Later, I came back and he still had not sold the group! I offered him even LESS!! I could see the sweat on his brow as he thought about the offer.....but, he didn't give in, (I knew I had him though.)

I came around a third time and made a lower offer still.....this time I would get him. He thought about it and started to stammer, but finely said NO again. He looked dejected....he was weakening!!

Just before the show ended, I came back with my final "lowball" offer....offensively low!!! Just as Manny was about to accept it......a guy offered him full price!!! :( I was out a beautiful set of medals!!

Okay.....now you all have the truth!! (:) )

The best way not to be taken in by a "deal" like this is to educate yourself. Sometimes people with more $$ than a level of collecting education pay stupid prices for stuff like this because they see what they want to see. I dont know if we as a forum can stop people from protecting themselves if they dont learn what to look for before spending their hard earned ( and sometimes not so hard earned ) money. If they dont want to learn what to look for, they could always hire someone to do it for them :)

Kurt

Kurt I agree 100%.

Learn to keep yourself from harms way.

What do we do about those who want to cause harm whether intentionally or unintentionally ?

I have a suspicion that we are right below the reserve and it wont hit the reserve.

Simple solution to this. Someone with a nice fat credit card limit, purchase this grouping. There is a 14 day return policy on it, so as soon as the postman delivers it, be dialing eBay and report fraud/scam. They almost always side with the buyer as long as you arent outrageously in left field. Return the item and when they relist, notify eBay that if they don't stop it, you will file fraud charges in small claims court.

I would do it, but I did my part by running it up to $1000. :D

Am I the only one who finds it odd that for payment he requires only a non-personal check....No Paypal? If payment is via Paypal and there is a dispute regarding a refund to the buyer and Ebay sides with the buyer Paypal will deduct those monies from the seller's credit card on file and credit the buyer. I personally experienced this when I bought an item from a guy in Florida that he did not have to sell. After Ebay found in my favor Paypal deducted the monies from his Ebay credit card account and credited my account.

CNY Militaria

I would like to play devil's advocate here for a minute as I have been reading this since it began. I'll posit a few questions for thought and potential discussion:

Why is it our job to police ebay?

We have had countless topics on this forum about us flooding ebay and the sellers with emails. For all the topics that exist, how often has that worked? Can we really annoy a behemoth of a company such as ebay to the point they take action? I would argue no.

Why can't interested bidders do their homework?

How many would argue here that the best way they have learned as a collector is by making bad buying mistakes and learning from those decisions? Albeit this is a huge one, but I am betting that the buyer will have learned a valuable life lesson.

Is it possible that the winning bidder knows EXACTLY what he or she is getting yet still has a reason and desire to buy it?

Why not? Some people collect reproductions, items based on aesthetics, or the "cool factor." Perhaps there is that ONE item in there that the bidder has got to have, regardless of cost because he needs it NOW. I am sure most of us have bid like that on ebay at some point--throw a huge figure out there as you will be the winning bidder regardless of price.

What can we do as collectors to stop this?

Nothing. As long as there is money and value tied into the items we possess, fakes and frauds will never stop. You can't push criminal fraud charges on sellers because there is no intent. Unless it can be proven that beyond a reasonable doubt the seller knew it was a fake, you're out of luck (good luck proving that by the way, talk about the case of the century--calls into the question the term "fake" and by what standard you measure it). You can curb it if you want by emailing the seller and hoping he is honest and doesn't know, but that only goes so far.

What if I were a seller of an item that was over $15,000 on ebay and deemed "fake", and I got a flood of messages from other members (lets assume I have little to no knowledge about the item or field and just threw it on ebay because I bought it from a collector who said it was legit)?

I would ignore all of them. If my item is priced that high, it must be worth it right? Why else would anyone bid that high. And all those emails rolling in must be crazy!

Again, just throwing out some random points here, but we see topics like this often enough that I believe some of needs to be said. I am a neutral party here so son't take this as me siding with the seller--I just want to hear some more discussion as this is obviously a recurring issue in our hobby.

Justin