Time to Start Drooling (ebay 82nd AB group)

Timberwolf

The helmet is fake so its not worth anything either :)

OH......I was hoping you would shed some light of the tall-tale points of what was wrong with it. That's all.

I did earlier in the post. :)

Here is the short list again:

1. The marking. there is something 100% wrong with it that all fakers get wrong PM me and we can discuss dont want to give it away since its a huge red flag none of them seem to catch.

2. chin cup.

3. the A yolks on the westinghouse liner are OD3 and look way to clean to the rest of the helmet.

4. The weave on the A yolks and the white cut edges look like repo. to me.

5. The aging on the marking looks like they just took rocks and threw it at it to take some chunks out and it looks like a stencil from war hats.

6. if you look close at the chips taken out of the marking you see no rust. Take a look at some of the rest of the chips on the lid which were probably there for a while you can easily see discoloration and rust, leading me to believe the chips in the winged foot are brand spanking new.

7. if i counted correctly the straps have 10 row weave.

8. looking back at the marking it looks like the white is under the blue of the foot. The few that I have seen that had the white outline it was just that, an outline it wasn't painted white first then blue applied on top. My 508th is just a solid color though :)

Paul Reijnders

Helmet : As fake as fake can be :mellow: Westinghouse jumpliner with OD-3 yokes and wire buckle , :lol:

Also the first aid package is fake

What a shame , hope a lot of bid retractions follow before this auction reaches his end :blush:

It's already over 10.000 $

Regards, Paul Reijnders

Obviously being schill bid up which I'm seeing more and more - anyone serious about collecting airborne who thought there was anything in this group with any redeaming value should reevaluate what they're doing in this hobby and start studying real examples before investing any time or money into something like this.

js............jcash pretty much sums it up,just looking at the pics on e-bay the paint ,especially on the shell,just screams bad to me........body and insignia.........also looking at the nape strap it looks to be 1945 dated.on this lid i would expect to see an earlier date,just my view..............dave

That helmet is over-egged in the extreme! It's like someone analysed what sells a faked helmet then decided to put it all onto a single helmet! Finding an original WW2 unit marked airborne helmet is unusual enough, but to have a unit marked airborne shell with an MP marked liner featuring divisional and Army patches....?!! :o I don't understand why he didn't go all the way and add a few GO's stars for good measure!

The trouble is, as "brands" the 82nd and 101st are irrevocably tainted thanks to an excess of publicity in the movies and books etc., which has bestowed upon them an almost mythical status. Collectors must also share some of the responsibility for this hype. The end result is a plethora of fake and grossly over-priced items such as the examples we see here. I've got both 82nd and 101st uniform items which I've had since the early 80s, way before "airborne mania" took off (no pun intended!) which I'm very happy with.....but I would never buy anything associated with either division in the future unless it was supplied with cast-iron provenance.

Up over $15,000 now and still the reserve hasn't been met. It's attracted 11 bidders and has plenty of time to go. I'm going to feel bad for somebody.

I did earlier in the post. :)

Here is the short list again:

1. The marking. there is something 100% wrong with it that all fakers get wrong PM me and we can discuss dont want to give it away since its a huge red flag none of them seem to catch.

2. chin cup.

3. the A yolks on the westinghouse liner are OD3 and look way to clean to the rest of the helmet.

4. The weave on the A yolks and the white cut edges look like repo. to me.

5. The aging on the marking looks like they just took rocks and threw it at it to take some chunks out and it looks like a stencil from war hats.

6. if you look close at the chips taken out of the marking you see no rust. Take a look at some of the rest of the chips on the lid which were probably there for a while you can easily see discoloration and rust, leading me to believe the chips in the winged foot are brand spanking new.

7. if i counted correctly the straps have 10 row weave.

8. looking back at the marking it looks like the white is under the blue of the foot. The few that I have seen that had the white outline it was just that, an outline it wasn't painted white first then blue applied on top. My 508th is just a solid color though :)

I'm sorry Dave!! I had read your earlier post, and forgot it was yours......(embarrassed emoticon) !

Up over $15,000 now and still the reserve hasn't been met. It's attracted 11 bidders and has plenty of time to go. I'm going to feel bad for somebody.

Correction, only 10 bidders. I never had any intentions of actually bidding on and winning this. I'm what you would call a fake shill bidder.

What we're seeing is a creative way to sell a fake grouping, you put enough good stuff in with the fake and build a grouping that you hope will be ignored by close scrutiny. In this case, I'm guessing that the bidders are Airborne collectors but, NOT helmet collectors. They are seeing enough good stuff to make them believe that the helmet is legit also. Even if this group was good, the current price would already be above the maximum value.

Has anyone informed the seller that they have become the object of scrutiny on this forum or that the helmet is bad ?

And where did they come up with the reserve ?

What is the precedent ?

Maybe the reserve will not be met.

Has anyone informed the seller that they have become the object of scrutiny on this forum or that the helmet is bad ?

And where did they come up with the reserve ?

What is the precedent ?

Maybe the reserve will not be met.

Look at the seller. They are a "estate seller", what better advertising. I guarantee you that when it's all said and done, some of those bidders will be contacting them with the old, "if you come into more of this stuff, please contact me" routine. What do they have to loose? Put a ridiculously high reserve on the group and if it goes there, roll in the money. If it doesn't, relatively cheap advertising, costing you the charge for the stupidly high reserve price.

And I am quite sure that the 82nd did not do MP duty at the Nuremberg trial.

It was the 508th MP battalion which had no connection to the 82nd AB or 508th PIR.

The drool in the title of this thread has evolved from the drool of want to the drool of stupidity.

Leonardo

I do feel sorry for whoever wastes their money here. I hope some part(s) of the group will be worth something toward the purchase price.

Does anyone really believe this estate seller cares what members of a user forum critique? It bottoms lines out to a dollar sign. As far as the value of something, that is in the eye of the beholder especially in an auction. The bidders believe the group has value and unless deliberate misrepresentarion or fraud can be proven it is offered as listed. Ebay didn't have a problem with it. If anybody believes it is being misrepresented then send an email complaint to Ebay or email questions and concerns to the seller. The auction hasn't ended yet.

You are right W4 .

Everyone should email him and ebay.

A lot of people think that ebay doesn't care but they are more sensitive then ever about what is going on.

JS a hit like that would be devastating to me even if I were rich it would break my heart and really tick me off to know I had been had.

The seller is knowledgable too to be able to ID the liner and the parts.

I am pretty sure we have discussed him before.

Has anyone thrown the vets info up here so potential researching bidders have a fair chance to view these opinions? I will just in case.

Cpl Leslie G. Johnston

Anyway, if that's a party foul mods please remove.