What's your favorite war movie ?

Screamingeagles101

history-buff1944

To this thread--you can add: The Tanks Are Coming. I thought Steve Cochran did a fantastic job on (the plagerized story by Warner Bros) portraying of a SSgt Sullivan--who was really the true life figure of: Staff Sergeant Lafayette G. Pool--of the 3rd Armored Division. Pool has the distinction of being the USA highest Scoring ""Panzer"" Ace of WWII. He was born and grew up near where I live (Odom and Taft, Texas) and went to College at Texas A&I University (way long before the name was sadly changed to A&M) which is located in my home town of Kingsville, Texas. He gave up his path to being an Engineer--to join the Army.

history-buff1944

if you go to TCM's vault there is a large collection of war flicks

I havent been to their site in awhile, think ill visit it later today and check out their titles.

One for you I highly suggest seeing if you get the chance--is one called: Kapo. Its a Czech made film and made about 1960--and is in B&W. That's was a very realistic movie made about Camp visctims in WWII.

I havent been to their site in awhile, think ill visit it later today and check out their titles.

One for you I highly suggest seeing if you get the chance--is one called: Kapo. Its a Czech made film and made about 1960--and is in B&W. That's was a very realistic movie made about Camp visctims in WWII.

they show it for rent at blockbuster and netfix. and for sale atr TCM ill check it out. thanks

history-buff1944

they show it for rent at blockbuster and netfix. and for sale atr TCM ill check it out. thanks

I wasnt aware it was available for rent but did know that TCM had it for sale. It is available and then sometimes not. However, it is a worthy buy if you decide to go that route? ;-))

history-buff1944

I finally found a copy of away all boats. at deep dicount video for $14.58. I don't anything about this co. anyone ever use it???

DDDvD.com used to be one of the best places on the net for availability and selection of titles as well as for prices--but they have been going down hill in the past few years. however, I have placed many orders through them over the years without many problems and they are pretty good to deal with. I still use them on occasion when im not buying from the Warner Brothers Archive Collections.

Cross of Iron

Where Eagles Dare

A Bridge To Far

The Guns of Navarone

Force 10 From Navarone

The Dirty Dozen

Das Boot

Saving Private Ryan

Band of Brothers

The Pacific

The Odd Angry Shot

I wasnt aware it was available for rent but did know that TCM had it for sale. It is available and then sometimes not. However, it is a worthy buy if you decide to go that route? ;-))

yes I want to rent before buying.

DDDvD.com used to be one of the best places on the net for availability and selection of titles as well as for prices--but they have been going down hill in the past few years. however, I have placed many orders through them over the years without many problems and they are pretty good to deal with. I still use them on occasion when im not buying from the Warner Brothers Archive Collections.

can'y find DDDvD in my search engine. maybe its gone???

Screamingeagles101

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever seen " Hell is for heros" ?

It's comeing on Saturday at 8 on the military channel.

It looks good from the small clips they showed

yes ive seen it. good flick. AMCTV has run it and a lot of war movies

Screamingeagles101

yes ive seen it. good flick. AMCTV has run it and a lot of war movies

Thanks. Plan on watching it.

the SAND PEBBLES starring Steve McQueen is a excellent movie about the USN gun boats in China during the 1920's

it's a really well made movie, a classic!

post-1885-0-37649600-1358483661.jpg

There are a few I really like and watch over and over.

Letters from Iwo Jima

The Sand Pebbles

55 days at Peking

None but the Brave

The Pacific

history-buff1944

yes I want to rent before buying.

Good idea and I do that sometimes-to make sure I like it enough before spending the monies. I used to get Netflix but havent signed back in since relocating.

Good idea and I do that sometimes-to make sure I like it enough before spending the monies. I used to get Netflix but havent signed back in since relocating.

most all, if not all of the flicks on here are at deep discount. prices starting at $5.99 and up. plus shipping. I ran them thru the BBB and they have B- rating which is really good. ill probably go ahead and order away all boats. I looked thru their list of war movies. 130 pages. a lot of these ive never heard of before. I sent them a mail to see if they would reply. so far no word.

history-buff1944

can'y find DDDvD in my search engine. maybe its gone???

Hi Sir--its still there. I got a Catalog from them in nov but I spent all my money on DvDs buying them from the Warner Brothers website. Their url is: www.deepdiscountdvd.com or www.dddvd.com.

I dont know why the link isnt working here but--their phone number is: 800-264-5076.

history-buff1944

One fo the best War Movies ever made im ny opinion. Steve McQueen and the cast did one hell of a great job.

My Studio Release Press Photo for him in Hell Is For Heroes:

129174850605934993_zpsca20055b.jpg

The News ticker on the back side:

129174850607342854_zpsdcb92641.jpg

history-buff1944

most all, if not all of the flicks on here are at deep discount. prices starting at $5.99 and up. plus shipping. I ran them thru the BBB and they have B- rating which is really good. ill probably go ahead and order away all boats. I looked thru their list of war movies. 130 pages. a lot of these ive never heard of before. I sent them a mail to see if they would reply. so far no word.

They are usually decent in Customer Service with the exception of some kid by the name of Brian. It was because of him I basically quit ordering from them and started ordering from Warner Brothers and Olive Films instead. Ill still buy from DDDvD but not near as much as I used to do so. Also, be VERY aware that if you order only 1-2-3- dvds, they will ship them in a cheap plastic wrapping wich does not protect the dvds. I have had to return two packages to them because my stuff came damaged. Warner Brothers ship by UPS-if the order weighs 1 or more pounds andare well protected. Deep Discount has gown way down hill in the past few years.

foxcompany1944

Some of mine would have to be Patton, The pacific, pearl harbor, the longest day, a bridge too far, band of brothers, and a lot more movies!

Some of mine would have to be Patton, The pacific, pearl harbor, the longest day, a bridge too far, band of brothers, and a lot more movies!

deep discount has these and a lot more

"Gettysburg" is number one for sure.

Band of Brothers, number two.

Many years ago (1988) I had some correspondence with a WW II veteran of the 101st Airborne who wanted a copy of the movie "Battleground" because he said it was the closest to the battle around Bastogne that he had seen, especially the fighting around the railroad tracks. I will take his word for it and it is a good movie.