What's your favorite war movie ?

Screamingeagles101

Battleship - Who doesn't like seeing the Might Mo in action?

The Hurt Locker - A good tribute to EOD boys

Band of Brothers - It was so engrousing I couldn't even get up...

Battle Los Angeles - Even if it was Marines it was one of my all time favorites :)

Saving Private Ryan - Cause it made me cry more than any other movie

Black Hawk Down - My second all time favorite movie.

Pearl Harbor - I was teaching my son about world war II and pearl harbor so I let him watch the actually invasion in the movie. It made my son hate the Japanese for killing US Navy personell. I had to explain that was a long time ago and now he still won't be friends with his Japanese friend next door. I don't know what else to do about that. Obvioulsy it was powerful.

Battleship - Who doesn't like seeing the Might Mo in action?

The Hurt Locker - A good tribute to EOD boys

Band of Brothers - It was so engrousing I couldn't even get up...

Battle Los Angeles - Even if it was Marines it was one of my all time favorites :)

Saving Private Ryan - Cause it made me cry more than any other movie

Black Hawk Down - My second all time favorite movie.

Pearl Harbor - I was teaching my son about world war II and pearl harbor so I let him watch the actually invasion in the movie. It made my son hate the Japanese for killing US Navy personell. I had to explain that was a long time ago and now he still won't be friends with his Japanese friend next door. I don't know what else to do about that. Obvioulsy it was powerful.

the attack, although mostly computer enhanced i thought was the best ive seen. and very graphic. it also addressed the chaos at the naval hospital .Parents need to know that this movie features extended and intense battle violence with thousands of casualties, including characters we care about. IMO you should tell him the horrific price Japan paid for that war.

the attack, although mostly computer enhanced i thought was the best ive seen. and very graphic. it also addressed the chaos at the naval hospital .Parents need to know that this movie features extended and intense battle violence with thousands of casualties, including characters we care about. IMO you should tell him the horrific price Japan paid for that war.

Yeah I did, I found a good video that was documenting Japans side of it, but he just said they deserved it. I am sort of regreting showing him that but hey, Im a single Mommy and he is my only child. Now he says japanese people are bad people. No matter what I say he seems to not deviate from that perception now.

Yeah I did, I found a good video that was documenting Japans side of it, but he just said they deserved it. I am sort of regreting showing him that but hey, Im a single Mommy and he is my only child. Now he says japanese people are bad people. No matter what I say he seems to not deviate from that perception now.

20/20 hind sight. tora tora tora was not as violent as this one. IMO. I took my wife to see pearl harbor and it was to graphic for her. and that's what these type of movies try and portray. the way it really happened. in time your son will realize his friend is not responsible.

I read about Pearl Harbor in the 2nd grade, had a similar effect on me. Deep down I knew it was a different world, as it was about 50 years after the events transpired, but some kids played tag, I sunk Japanese shipping from a particular piece of playground equipment. Learning more about it helps to have a more educated view as a guy gets older. Might let him watch "Go For Broke" to at least dim his anger toward Japanese-Americans, and I believe there is a more contemporary film about the 442nd. There is also a post on here about the tsunami a while back that has a video in it in which the Japanese thank everybody that helped them. Hard to keep a dry eye after watching it.

Hard to pick just a few but these come to the front of my mind

Saving Private Ryan (I have been told by DD vets they still cannot watch the beach/landing scenes)

The Longest Day (Hollywoods sterilized version)\

Patton ("The Americans would never fire their best General over slapping a soldier"......)

We were Soldiers ("I can promise you that my boots will be the first onto the field of battle and the last to step off of it")

• 3 weeks later...

220px-Objective_burma.jpgI have to agree with firebaseb, one of the best A/B movie's is 'Objective Burma' staring Errol Flynn (which he did his best acting in) and his other WW2 film 'Desperate Journey' which also stars Ronald Reagan (former President of the U.S.), Alan Hale (father of the Skipper on Gilligan's Island), Arthur Kennedy and Raymond Massey as the German chasing them. I have an original theater poster from 'Desperate Journey'. Both movies were made during WW2, 'DJ' was made in 1942 and 'OB' in 1945. Also 'Das Boot', 'Stalag 17', 'Twelve O'Clock High', 'Where Eagles Dare' and my favorite 'The Devils Brigade' although not the best acted movie but because I wrote an article on the V42 Force knife after over 20 years extensive research on the knives. Once I correlate the photos, I'll have the article published. There are many good WW2 movies out there that I like but those are just a few. Also, there are plenty of movies that are just plain duds as they tried but didn't make it.

Poster%20-%20Desperate%20Journey_01.jpg

Screamingeagles101

I finally aquired a copy of the Pacific which is now in my collection

The pacific is an awesome movie. My favorite character is snafu. Another great one is band of brothers, not sure which one I like more.

The pacific is an awesome movie. My favorite character is snafu. Another great one is band of brothers, not sure which one I like more.

same here

Screamingeagles101

same here

That scene can be very emotional, but it shows what both the marines and the Japanese people went through, just a great movie all around.

That scene can be very emotional, but it shows what both the marines and the Japanese people went through, just a great movie all around.

its that one scene that sticks in my mind.

history-buff1944

the caine mutiny - Bogart, José Ferrer, Van Johnson, Fred MacMurray

Hi Sir but you must have meant: Mel Ferrer instead of Jose. I admit they can get a bit confusing as they both have mirrorlike noses ;-)) Just joking but--the Naval Lawyer was Mel F. Cheers--HB.

history-buff1944

Thanks. Weird though. I always thought it was Mel. I wonder what I saw Mel in that got crissed-crossed in my mind? Will try figuring that one out ;-)) Still, I could SWEAR the DvD credits did say Mel????? Ill look soon as I can think of doing so. I dont have many movies in the collection with either of them in it.

history-buff1944

away all boats - still trying to find a copy

Its on DvD, I got mine about 8 or so years ago so I dont know if its still available but--it IS on DvD. Also, look fast for Clint Eastwood in it.

history-buff1944

A few of my favorites include:

Breakthrough w/ John Agar, Brian David, Paul Picerni and Frank Lovejoy.

Dunkirk w/ Sir John Mills, Lord Richard Attenborough and Bernard Lee.

Decision before Dawn w/ Richard Basehart, Gary Merrill, Oskar Werner, Hans-Christian Blech, Hidegard knef, Wilfrid Seyffarth, O.E> Hasse and a THANKFULLY oh so short appearence by: Klaus Kinski.

history-buff1944

looks like I confused Jose with Mel Ferrer because of movies like: War and Peace as well as Fall of the Roman Empire. Namvet was correct ;-)) My only defense is--partial insanity, insomnia, brain disease and a Neurological disorder (that part is true) ;-))

looks like I confused Jose with Mel Ferrer because of movies like: War and Peace as well as Fall of the Roman Empire. Namvet was correct ;-)) My only defense is--partial insanity, insomnia, brain disease and a Neurological disorder (that part is true) ;-))

at my age i have the same problems :lol:

surprise. Eastwood is in away all boats. Amazon has it on DVD but at 68 bucks they can keep it. ill keep lookin'. my late dad took me to the theatre to see this when i was just a kid. never seen it since.

• 3 weeks later...

surprise. Eastwood is in away all boats. Amazon has it on DVD but at 68 bucks they can keep it. ill keep lookin'. my late dad took me to the theatre to see this when i was just a kid. never seen it since.

ditto buddy =0)

history-buff1944

Im senile at 45--not much an excuse for me? heh heh. Yup, Clint was in it as a Medical Room Orderly or somthing like that? He was also briefly seen as a Fighter Pilot in both: Lafayette Escadrille as well as Tarantula. He also made an appearence in: Lady Godiva--but ive never spotted him in that movie yet.