My grandmothers Cousin a Marine ?

Screamingeagles101

Screamingeagles101

A year ago me and my grandmother were asking about ghost and paranormal things that has happened to family members. She told me a story about her cousin Johnny. She said her cousin Johnny was on a LST boat (landing craft). After a big battle he fell asleep on the beach. She said that while he was sleeping his grandfather came to him in his dream and said to move a bomb is going to hit you. He got up and ran. Sure enough an artillery shel hit right where he was sleeping. Because he was away from home he did not know his grandfather had passed away. Once he returned home he found out that he has passed and shared the story with his family. This is how my grandmother new the story, and this is how I now know the story.

After hearing this story I asked my grandmother what outfit her cousin was in. She did not know.

She gave me his ribbon bar and sharpshooter medal. I have posted pics of them on another thread but will post more pics of them here. The ribbon bar is a ww2 pacific ribbon bar with two bronze stars on it.

From this story and the ribbon bar, I put together that he was a marine in the pacific. Because he was in a landing craft I guess he was storming a beach. I'm thinking maybe he was in iwojima or Pelilu, something like that. What do you think ? Any ideas ? Im also thinking he might of been with the navy. That what my grandpa said, but why would a navy guy be in a landing craft ? That's all the info I know about him. Sadly my grandmother has passed away :( so I can't ask her anything.

Here are pics of his decorations

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q509/xdominick97/d286ba95.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q509/xdominick97/d2b02745.jpg

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q509/xdominick97/dd3fc741.jpg

If you have any ideas or want to ask me a question, I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Nice little set of items!

You have both army and USMC/USN items with this lot, perhaps some of these was the other family member you were researching?

If you can find out the name of who it is we can double check on the USMC/Navy rosters for you.

Ask around to see if anybody in the family has done the genealogy for your family, there is always at least one member!

Good luck, hopefully we can help solve this mystery!

LF

Screamingeagles101

Nice little set of items!

You have both army and USMC/USN items with this lot, perhaps some of these was the other family member you were researching?

If you can find out the name of who it is we can double check on the USMC/Navy rosters for you.

Ask around to see if anybody in the family has done the genealogy for your family, there is always at least one member!

Good luck, hopefully we can help solve this mystery!

LF

My grandpa said the guys name was Johnny, he can't think of his last name, but he said it will come to him. All I would know is his name, don't date of birth or anything. Before my grandmother told me about him, I had no idea he existed.

What's your grandmother's maiden name? Johnny may share the same last name. If so, and it's a not so common name, it won't be hard to find him on the Navy or USMC muster rolls. I do find it kind of odd your grandmother doesn't remember her own cousin, aunt or uncles last name.

Regardless, glad you were able to find some link to who these belonged to. I recall on WRF they were just found in your grandparents basement a few months ago and them not knowing whose they were.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/orders-medals-and-decorations/can-someone-please-help-me-identify-these-medals-and-ribbons-210316/

Screamingeagles101

What's your grandmother's maiden name? Johnny may share the same last name. If so, and it's a not so common name, it won't be hard to find him on the Navy or USMC muster rolls. I do find it kind of odd your grandmother doesn't remember her own cousin, aunt or uncles last name.

Regardless, glad you were able to find some link to who these belonged to. I recall on WRF they were just found in your grandparents basement a few months ago and them not knowing whose they were.

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/orders-medals-and-decorations/can-someone-please-help-me-identify-these-medals-and-ribbons-210316/

I would ask my grand mother what his last name is but she has passed away a few moths ago. I asked my grandpa if it is my grandmas maiden name. He said no. Even if you put in John ****** how can we be sure if it's the person I'm looking for. I don't know is birth year, his death year, his enlistment year. If you want to try my grandmothers madien name it is Masone. Full name: John Masone. If you find anything please tell me.

Screamingeagles101

No John Masone (or any variations of the first name) in Navy or USMC muster rolls.

Thanks for looking, I appreciate it. I didn't think the last name was Masone anyway.

Very interesting story. My family has many eerie type stories as well. I am sorry about your loss, I lost my grandmother last year, and my grandfather last month, so I know how bad it can be. Regarding your grandmothers cousin, if your grandpa remembers the last name, there are some guys on here that can work miracles with those muster rolls. I wish I could help, but I'm usually the one asking for it! Thanks for sharing your story, I believe there are things that happen in this world far stranger than anyone can make up. Don't give up trying!

Screamingeagles101

Very interesting story. My family has many eerie type stories as well. I am sorry about your loss, I lost my grandmother last year, and my grandfather last month, so I know how bad it can be. Regarding your grandmothers cousin, if your grandpa remembers the last name, there are some guys on here that can work miracles with those muster rolls. I wish I could help, but I'm usually the one asking for it! Thanks for sharing your story, I believe there are things that happen in this world far stranger than anyone can make up. Don't give up trying!

I'm sorry about your grandfather. I won't give up trying, I'm sure the last name will pop up at some point. When it does I will post it as soon as possible.