USAF Chevrons

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

This is the drawing for the early issue USAF Chevrons. I always liked the fact that the straight chevrons were shown replacing the winged chevrons for the first 3 grades.

post-5-1203445054.jpg

post-5-1203445060.jpg

post-5-1203445065.jpg

post-5-1203445071.jpg

post-5-1203445076.jpg

post-5-1203445082.jpg

craig_pickrall

post-5-1203445599.jpg

post-5-1203445605.jpg

The distincitive insignia for 1st SGT refered to in the last note is a small diamond for wear above the chevron.

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Here is a very odd looking Air Force chevrons which have two stripes and an arc in the center. w00t.gif Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

post-837-1203536313.jpg

....This is the drawing for the early issue USAF Chevrons. I always liked the fact that the straight chevrons were shown replacing the winged chevrons...

Great charts. The evolution of USAF chevrons and the aborted switch to "flat stripes" for Airmen in grades E-2 through E-4 is an interesting story. Air Force Historical Research Agency Website has a report entitled Enlisted Rank Chevron Chronology that gives context to the charts and tells exactly what happened and when (link here).

• 4 months later...

Craig,

I would love a copy or info on were I can find those drawings.

Thanks, -- Rick (Old B-1)

Laury Allison
Craig,

I would love a copy or info on were I can find those drawings.

Rick,

You can find a lot of the information about these and other USAF stripes and how they evolved at this link. http://www.au.af.mil/au/afhra/

Scroll about half way down the page and there is a .PDF document called Enlisted Rank Chevron Chronology. Lot's of other interesting information on this page also.

The drawings posted above appear to be TIOH (The Institute of Heraldry) drawings....called the Cartoon actually.

Laury

I have seen this before.

I was asking because I have never seen the "Horizontal" stripe drawings.

Laury Allison
I have seen this before.

I was asking because I have never seen the "Horizontal" stripe drawings.

I am thinking I saw the drawings on-line somewhere, but can't remember where? think.gif I thought it was in the document I referred you too. It may possibly be on a page out of Maxwell AFB dealing with the USAF Enlisted Heritage? I haven't looked at that one in a while and don't remember the address though. It might give you a direction to look in.

Laury

What I wish we could find are some drawings for the other designs that were submitted when they chose the then new Air Force chevrons. From what I've read, several different designs were submitted and I'd like to see what those looked like! (But then some turkey would make some to sell to collectors as "long lost and rare prototype USAF chevrons".) w00t.gif