Spanish American War gear search! Repro? Original?

talontree14

I had my sights set on a Eureka Arsenal 1889 campaign hat.

http://www.eureka-ar...index_frame.htm

Im going for the cheaper wool felt version, anything I should know about quality of wool?

If you can afford the fur felt hat, it will last better and would be closer to authentic. That said, I know that Jim Kanne at Eureka usually takes time to find quality wool hat blanks for his wool felt hats. The wool 1911 model hat that I got from him is holding up very well. In general, wool hats don't hold up quite as well for heavy campaigning.

Im not exactly gonna be going after Pancho Villa with Pershing hehe.

I just plan on wearing it along with the 1903 Mills belt in rifle competition

Most of the issue hats from the 1916 period were not very good quality. The photos from the Punitive Expedition show a lot of pretty beat up hats. Maybe the quicker it gets that battle-worn look, the better! Of course, if you are shooting an '03, a M1902 or M1911 hat may be more fitting for your impression.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
dadwasajarhead

Dirty Billy is also big bucks for hats: M1889 $145.00 without vents and IW hats $170.00. Of course if you really want a hat that you could put on a dummy head and admire, try Miller hats. They have about twenty different kinds of 1872 Andrew's hats (one for each fort, a platoon, troop, batallion, regiment, brigade, and division type ... would you believe $220.00!!

By the way guys, I talked to the owner of USHist.com (Leavey Foundation). He is alive and workin hard to fill orders. He says that his catalog is good. He has some health issues, so has to take time off now and then (who doesn't?) He says that some people have been real impatient and reported him to facebook just for putting a few items on back order. In short, his prices are very affordable. His inventory is the most detailed that I have ever seen. I am going to give him a try.

• 2 months later...

Update on the topic. WPG has started to offer haversacks, 1878, 98, o3, on their site in the 1902-1938 section. I ordered a 78 bag with shoulder strap tonight. Will post pictures when I get them! Still looking for a cartridge belt :-/

• 3 weeks later...
dadwasajarhead

I have placed a second order with http://www.ushist.com/ . The gentleman's name is Terry. It takes longer to get your order from him than other sites, because he does not ship what he has now and send the rest later. Shipping costs are a big deal for him, unless you offer to pay extra. I have been waiting for an "Indian War" repro canteen because his supplier has run out of the canvas blanks. For that reason, I would restrict your orders to just a few items that you can't get anywhere else. I finally got my M1898 Slouch Hat. It took two months, but was in decent shape (minus the hat band) when I got it. Many of his items are drop-shipped from his suppliers. The point is, however, that he is still in business and relaible if not as slow as molasses in January.

Leggings are the hard thing to find, does anyone have good repro span-am mounted ones? It's pretty much the only thing missing from my 1st USV Cav Captain's impression...

Cooncreekoldwest.comhas leggings. They look alright by my eyes, but the picture is So-so. Anyone purchase a pair of these before?

I have a pair. They're really the only game in town but not nearly good enough for living history, they mostly sell to cowboy action shooters, who have the mantra of 'good enough is good enough'...

I have a pair. They're really the only game in town but not nearly good enough for living history, they mostly sell to cowboy action shooters, who have the mantra of 'good enough is good enough'...

Do you have any pictures of them on? I'm on the fence for getting them.

Very interesting thread guys and some great info. here. One question: lets say a person gets a hankerin' to put together a US Span Am regular infantry impression, gets all the best uniform and gear items together with the help of the great guys in this thread.

Now, where does he get the Krag to go with it? I mean one that hasn't been sporterized or messed with in anyway? What are they going for these days? Are they easily available?

Very best,

Bill K.

As of last week, it looks like Jerry Lee (WPG) is looking at producing these.

That is good news! Never been let down with WPG gear.

@bill

I'm also curious about where to find a rifle as well! And on that same page how much does ammo run?

Cheapest (beat up) full length Krag I saw at a gun show last weekend was something around $650. Most of them were priced in the $1200 range.

Doc -

Thanks for the info. - Those prices aren't as bad as I thought. Next question, how available are they? Haven't been to a gun show in a while nor have I really looked around for them.

Geeze, I remember in the 80s guys couldn't GIVE them away - remember they were around $100

Thanks!

Bill

Jon-Paul Bingham

Hi All,

I have two sets of leggings, the standard available ones you are talking about, THEN a set from John Stewart <[email protected]>

A liltle more expensive - but spot on, and very very well made. I can not fault them.

Using these for my USMC summer uniform (white) and my shore duty Naval officers uniform - Hawaii 1896-1898.

I have purchased a bit of leather gear from John (Jack) - canteen and haversack straps, DA revolver holster and these leggings - all absolute great quality.

Aloha

JP

Jon-Paul Bingham

Oh I wish Bill its a1896 Krag (a very nice basically mint - absolutely complete/had tools in the butt/matching numbers) - I am looking for a good Lee Navy straight pull....not much around except for sporters.

Presently concentrating on the uniform research and slowly getting those together.

I'll have to get a few more photo's done - now this was taken at our local gun show, and I have to say I was offered a 1898 Krag - for $300.00, unfortunately wood was screwed around with, sanded and varnished; no.s non-matching. Not sure on the barrel...sound like at that price I should of taken it.

Chaulk and cheese between the two!

I'll have to do some photo's of the Karg and 1888 trapdoor - all period correct for Hawaii's rifle guard....

JP

......I am looking for a good Lee Navy straight pull....not much around except for sporters.

JP

There was talk of getting a Lee straight pull repro made, possibly this thread but somewhere on the forum. As I recall it was dangerously close to becoming realty, or some 'trial' rifles had been made. Navy Arms maybe?

Hi All,

I have two sets of leggings, the standard available ones you are talking about, THEN a set from

John Stewart

<[email protected]>

A liltle more expensive - but spot on, and very very well made. I can not fault them.

Using these for my USMC summer uniform (white) and my shore duty Naval officers uniform - Hawaii 1896-1898.

I have purchased a bit of leather gear from John (Jack) - canteen and haversack straps, DA revolver holster and these leggings - all absolute great quality.

Aloha

JP

Are the standard leggings the dark brown like the ones you have on in your photos? Btw great impression!

Jon-Paul Bingham

Yes the ones from John (jack) Stewart are the ones in the photograph.

I'd say they not dark brown, but tan..??

He's had a few listed recently on ebay: 141089884455

Small update. I thought I'd take a gamble an order a canvas cover for a canteen at ushist.com. Hopefully it goes well. The charge hasn't hit my card yet so I'm slightly worried about it. We will see.