Spanish American War gear search! Repro? Original?

talontree14

dadwasajarhead

I have placed a second order with http://www.ushist.com/ . The gentleman's name is Terry. It takes longer to get your order from him than other sites, because he does not ship what he has now and send the rest later. Shipping costs are a big deal for him, unless you offer to pay extra. I have been waiting for an "Indian War" repro canteen because his supplier has run out of the canvas blanks. For that reason, I would restrict your orders to just a few items that you can't get anywhere else. I finally got my M1898 Slouch Hat. It took two months, but was in decent shape (minus the hat band) when I got it. Many of his items are drop-shipped from his suppliers. The point is, however, that he is still in business and relaible if not as slow as molasses in January.

Here is an update guys. I finally gave up on US Hist.com. I have my M1889 fatigue (stable) uniform in brown cotton duck from Quartermaster. I had sergeant's (cav) chevrons and leg stripes sewn on. Really pretty affordable at around $360.00 complete. I went with Coon Creeks M1892 Blue Mills Cartridge Belt w./C-Clasp. I have a M1901 Colt DA Revolver in .38 Long Colt. It looks close enough to a M1889-92, so I am happy with it. I got a leather cartridge box for the .38 Long cartridges. I have seen an authentic cartridge pouch with the 12-place wooden block on E-Bay. The owner is asking $189.00, however, to start. I will probably be buying another natural-colored reproduction from Jerry Lee and staining it black instead of russet.

I ran into an impossible stroke of luck. Someone was selling a M1885 US Army Hospital Corps knife. This is the big, double-edged one with the broom handle. It was given to someone in the Army as a commemorative. I got it for $40.00! It was a simple matter to pry off the name plate. It really looks good as new. I am using Wolverine 1000-Mile boots as replica boondockers. They have a simple leather sole and nine hooks and eyes. I really think they can pass scrutiny, seeing how they are the only game in town! They also have a dull finish like a fatigue boot, instead of the high-gloss that the Madison's have.

Salvage Sailor

Yes the ones from John (jack) Stewart are the ones in the photograph.

I'd say they not dark brown, but tan..??

He's had a few listed recently on ebay: 141089884455

For reference, these are my Gr. Grandfathers leggings, probably Pennsylvania state contract. He was with the 16th Pennsylvania Volunteers in 'Porto Rico', seeing action at the night march at Coamo and Aibonito.

The rest of his uniform is posted here http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/14732-16th-pa-inf-uniform-grouping-1898-1st-khaki/

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg