Celebrities who collect militaria or are military history buffs.

patches

I have heard that director Peter Jackson has an extensive WWI collection that emphasizes aviation. Several years back I talked to the guys from Sideshow Toys at a trade show and at the time they were planning a range of figures based on original uniforms from Jackson's collection. The artist Don Troiani has what might be the finest American Civil War collection in private hands. He also collects Revolutionary War and World War II.

He purchased some WWI aircraft fuselage panels from a guy I know for six figures each.

Ian

I have heard that director Peter Jackson has an extensive WWI collection that emphasizes aviation. Several years back I talked to the guys from Sideshow Toys at a trade show and at the time they were planning a range of figures based on original uniforms from Jackson's collection. The artist Don Troiani has what might be the finest American Civil War collection in private hands. He also collects Revolutionary War and World War II.

Several years ago, Don Troiani's collection was featured on a TV show that was about collectors (I think it was "Incureable Collector on A&E). His collection of American militaria from the Revolution thru the War Between the States was something to behold. He also said something I thought was way cool for a guy with that kind of collection. It was something like, he wanted his collection to be sold after his passing so other collectors could enjoy owning the pieces. He said "museums have enough", already.

I have nothing substantive to add to this thread but I wanted to share a few pics with Bob C.

I've become more health concious so I didn't add an order of onion rings.

post-15696-0-97532000-1359405036.jpg

post-15696-0-03991100-1359405046.jpg

Actor R Lee Ermey once told me about all the guns and militaria he owns. No big shocker to anyone here, I'm sure.

A "really big person at microsoft" supposedly collects WW2. I was told he has an agent that he tells what he wants. Agent then contacts a dealer he knows and says "I need a XYZ," dealer basically scramble to get the very best of those they can and price is not really much of an object. Is it Bill Gates? not sure.
Paul Allen, probably. The man has one of the most amazing collection of WW2 planes in private hands right now.

I know someone claiming to represent him once tried to buy my entire War Correspondent collection after I displayed it at a show in Auburn, WA a few years back. He also asked if my Bill Mauldin collection was also for sale as well and gave a pretty handsome offer, one I could have bought another WW2 Jeep with (and probably well at - or beyond - the extreme edge of it's value at the time). I politely told him to go pound sand.

There is a well known canadian musician that collects victorian era british uniforms and pre ww1 usmc i wont name names but you'd better take care if he finds you've been creepin round his back stairs ;)

Ahhh...these yanks won`t know who your talking about.

Kind of skimmed through the thread...don`t think I saw Lemmy from Motorhead or Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden listed yet.

Mk1 You read my mind and what a tale my thoughts told :D

Oh yeah I mention Lemmy in the first quote when I started this topic.

I think what Scott Glen may dabble in Militaria, I heard he was spoted several times during the 80s and 90s in at Church St Surplus/Vintage Clothes store and the old Trader Store Surplus/Army-Navy down on Canal Street here in NY NY. Though in reality he may have went into Church St Surplus to buy a vintage Bow Tie, and over to The Trader to pick up a pair of jock Strap for all we know :lol: But I would like to think he got some Militaria items.

I don't know about being a collector but Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden is a huge history buff and has appeared as a commentor on several history channel shows.

I bought many of Jack Blades Japanese items in the early 90s when he was getting really focused on the Indian Wars stuff

Also, Jack Roush owns P-51s and was on the board of the Yankee Air Museum in MI. Scott.

Several years ago, Don Troiani's collection was featured on a TV show that was about collectors (I think it was "Incureable Collector on A&E). His collection of American militaria from the Revolution thru the War Between the States was something to behold. He also said something I thought was way cool for a guy with that kind of collection. It was something like, he wanted his collection to be sold after his passing so other collectors could enjoy owning the pieces. He said "museums have enough", already.

Don is a very active member of another well known forum and a great guy to deal with...

I don't know about being a collector but Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden is a huge history buff and has appeared as a commentor on several history channel shows.

Scott.

And a pilot to boot! But the history aspect of Bruce as a member of Iron Maiden is evident by many of their songs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read that Sylvester Stallone is quite the blade collector. In fact, the M1917 and M1918 trench knives seen in the apartment in the first Rocky movie are pieces from his own collection.

• 2 months later...

Someone mentioned Jeff Hanneman of the band Slayer in this thread. Sadly Jeff passed away today at the age of 49. He had contracted necrotizing fascitis presumably from a spider bite and had been in recovery and on hiatus. So, we lost a fantastic guitarist and possibly a fellow collector. RIP Jeff. Scott

Not necessarily a celeb unless you are insanely into the sport but I recently sold a dug relic from wwii to a professional skateboarder who has a bio page on the ESPN website.

Someone mentioned Jeff Hanneman of the band Slayer in this thread. Sadly Jeff passed away today at the age of 49. He had contracted necrotizing fascitis presumably from a spider bite and had been in recovery and on hiatus. So, we lost a fantastic guitarist and possibly a fellow collector. RIP Jeff. Scott

I was very sad to hear this news.

vintageproductions

I have read that Sylvester Stallone is quite the blade collector. In fact, the M1917 and M1918 trench knives seen in the apartment in the first Rocky movie are pieces from his own collection.

His brother Frank is also a collector. He loves WWII airborne and Rangers.

• 1 month later...
HoovieDude

Actor R Lee Ermey once told me about all the guns and militaria he owns. No big shocker to anyone here, I'm sure.

Paul Allen, probably. The man has one of the most amazing collection of WW2 planes in private hands right now.

I know someone claiming to represent him once tried to buy my entire War Correspondent collection after I displayed it at a show in Auburn, WA a few years back. He also asked if my Bill Mauldin collection was also for sale as well and gave a pretty handsome offer, one I could have bought another WW2 Jeep with (and probably well at - or beyond - the extreme edge of it's value at the time). I politely told him to go pound sand.

A good article on him...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2013/06/04/inside-microsoft-mogul-paul-allens-multi-million-dollar-wwii-airplane-collection/

I got a laugh from the mention of Paul Allen's dad

"Allen’s late father, Kenneth, landed in Normandy the day after D-Day. In 1945 he and his fellow infantrymen of the 501st Quartermaster Railhead Company were bombarded near Remagen"

However, I think in this case I would blame the reporter who probably had no clue. (in case you missed it, I doubt any infantrymen were in the 501st).

Re #123: I once knew a lady whose father was (she said) a "distinguished, combat veteran". When I asked where and when, etc. she averred "He was a Marine with Patton, from Normandy to the death camps". Hmmmmm. Then I asked what his job was: "He was a gunner, always with guns."

Then I enquired if she had any pictures of him in the war (to better figure things): "No, it was all very secret!"

Go figure.