Greetings From New Member and a Few Questions

ph0ebus

Hi, all...

I am new to the forums and look forward to participating in the discussions. I have a small collection of medals and ribbons, most of which came through family members but some I picked up here and there. I also collect other militaria; whatever strikes my interest I pick up, if the price is right. That ranges from one Vietnam-era helmet, trench art from Guadalcanal to WWI and II ribbons. I also have one or two Naval uniform pieces from WWII.

What drew me into collecting was being entrusted by my father with his medals, ribbons and dog tags. He is a WWII combat veteran (Army, served in the Philippines), and what is becoming more apparent to me is that he is missing a few of the pieces he should have (which I intend to help him re-acquire), and some of the ones he does have have some preservation issues...which leads me to my first question to you.

He has 3 ribbons on a rack (left to right): Good Conduct Ribbon, Asiatic Pacific Service Ribbon (with one bronze star and one arrowhead), and a Philippines Liberation Ribbon. The last two ribbons, as well as a separate WWII Victory ribbon of his, appear at one point to have has lacquer or varnish put on them. The substance, while still somewhat clear, has darkened, and begun to crack. Should I leave them alone as is, or is there a way to remove the varnish without damaging the ribbon material? I should also note that while he has the Good Conduct Medal, he does not have the medals that correspond with the Asiatic Pacific Service Ribbon, the Philippines Liberation Ribbon, or the WWII Victory Ribbon. I am assuming that paired ribbons and medals were always given together, but perhaps I am mistaken? What was a bit odd for me was on his DD214 it clearly says Medals for all, except the Phillipines Liberation Ribbon.

If you have questions for me, please don't hesitate to ask; if photos will be helpful, let me know and I will try and put some up.

Take care,

-Daniel

Welcome aboard, Daniel!

I say leave the finish on the ribbons. They're over 60 years old, and you might wind up causing permanent damage to the ribbons themselves.

As for the Philippine Liberation Ribbon, the actual medal was never actually authorized for wear by members of the US military; just the ribbon bar. I don't know by this is, but I'm confident one or more of our fellow members will be able to enlighten us.

Welcome aboard, Daniel!

I say leave the finish on the ribbons. They're over 60 years old, and you might wind up causing permanent damage to the ribbons themselves.

As for the Philippine Liberation Ribbon, the actual medal was never actually authorized for wear by members of the US military; just the ribbon bar. I don't know by this is, but I'm confident one or more of our fellow members will be able to enlighten us.

Thanks for the welcome! I suspected as much, re: the varnish. By the way, I threw together a page of pictures of part of my collection (which, by the way, is pretty sad compared to what collections I have seen posted thus far). here's the link:

http://ph0ebus13.googlepages.com/militaria

I will add more pics when I can. The ribbons in question are on this page, if you want to have a look. I could use some help identifying some of the pins and medals (which i got in bulk in a box in a thrift store) on there, as well as info on the helmet I start the page off with. I am at the beginning of a long, steep learning curve, folks, so please bear with me...

Take care,

-Daniel

Daniel, welcome to the forum. You have the great beginnings to a collection and a life long obsession! Leave your fathers things just the way they are, and if you want make a duplicate set of what he had.

Just a thought, Dave

Daniel, welcome to the forum. You have the great beginnings to a collection and a life long obsession! Leave your fathers things just the way they are, and if you want make a duplicate set of what he had.

Just a thought, Dave

Thanks for the advice...I uploaded about a dozen or so pics more of my collection, including some Navy uniform pieces, the mystery 'grenade box' I got from dear ol' grandpa, and a few other odds and ends. Interestingly, the three Navy jackets were just given to me free by some guy at a swap meet like twenty years ago.

Re: the M1 helmet...should I leave the 'aftermarket' chin strap on there, or would it be better to remove it, as it is clearly not original to the piece? I also updated the information I have on the helmet this afternoon, i.e., who made the liner, etc. If anyone who knows helmets can let me know if I assessed its age, etc. right that would be cool.

Lastly, at the bottom of my page I added a link to my other grandfather's postcards from the front lines of WWI, if anyone here is interested.

Take care,

-Daniel

Welcome aboard, they appear laminated to me but if it is varnish I believe that I have seen one or two with them on it, is there a maker on the ribbons? Leave them alone or they could be ruined or decrease in value.

Welcome aboard, they appear laminated to me but if it is varnish I believe that I have seen one or two with them on it, is there a maker on the ribbons? Leave them alone or they could be ruined or decrease in value.

Hi,

I do not see any maker's marks on the ribbon backs. I will take everyone's advice and leave them be.

-Daniel