M1 Garand receiver...marked INTRAC?

Morlok

I was searching craigslist & came across an ad for a Garand receiver. It was a great deal, so I went to check it out. The owner was super nice & has a military collection that rivals any I have ever seen. I ended up buying the receiver. (you never know when all those spare parts will come together!!) It is a Feb 1944 manufactured Springfield. He said he bought it 20 or so years ago, but never built the gun. It was parkerized when he bought it. It wasn't the best park job, but the receiver shows only minor pitting & almost no wear. My question is this: Has anyone seen a receiver marked INTRAC Knox TN? It looks to be laser etched into the left side. Too small for my camera to get a picture of it. I found some mention of Intrac Arms online, but no real information on them dealing with Garands. I assume they imported them back in the 80s perhaps? Also, is there anywhere I can send it to have a barrel installed & headspaced? I have a 43 springfield & a 43 winchester, but I would like to build this into a modern shooter, with a new barrel & mostly new/mint parts. Anyone know if there are quality reproduction WW2 style Garand scope mounts on the market? Any help would be great...Thanks!

It's an import engraving from the company that did the import which would be Intrac Arms. 20 years ago would put it in the time frame of the Korean imports that came in during the 80's.

I have one receiver that is import marked that way but it came from Italy and was brought in from a different company.

As far as getting a barrel put on any gunsmith who has the correct tools for a Garand receiver can do it. The Garand Guy, Fulton Armory, just to name a couple. There are reproduction scope mounts made and if you do a search under Garand parts you will find them. As to the quality of the parts I can't speak to that. Nothing beats the real thing but I know they are costly.

You are lucky it was marked that way and not stamped into the barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

Take a careful look at the rest of the receiver for welds that have been ground off, then reparkerized. Many M1 Garands were specifically demilitarized for parade rifles for ROTC and other veteran organizations.

A reparkerization can hide grindings from removed welds.

I thought about that, but I can't see any blemishes. I am going to contact Fulton Armory & see if I can drop it off with another beat up Garand I picked up & have it built into a nice shooter. I'll have them inspect it closer than I did. The beat up Garand I picked up is a worn Winchester, and the op rod pops out really easy when all the way back. Maybe the channel is just too worn out? I am still learning about these things, so I figure a good shop that specializes in Garands would be a good place to go!

When the Garand is demilitarized, three things are done. The barrel is plugged with molten steel, the barrel is welded to the receiver on the underside, and the Op rod channel is enlarged towards the rear of the receiver by grinding off metal.

Check the Op rod tab to see if it's within spec's, then check to see if there is less metal at the rear of the Op rod channel in the receiver.

The barrel can be removed, and the receiver to barrel weld can be cut off cleanly. To determine if the inside rear of the Op rod channel has been altered, look at the tool marks left inside the channel. If the tool marks are missing towards the rear, the channel has been altered. A new parkerization can hide the barrel to receiver weld, but not the altered metal towards the rear of the Op rod channel.