M1907 sling - original or reproduction?

jeed

Looks ok from what I can see of it. It exhibits some age/wear, and by 1942 iron hardware has replaced brass, so that checks out too.

Are you sure, Sabrejet? I thought the holes in M1907 slings were oblong, not round. Also, the holes do not look to be evenly spaced, meaning they were not gang-stamped like on originals, but stamped individually.

Just my $0.02.

Looks like a reproduction given the shape and location of the holes, the leather used in the sling, the stiching holding the rectangular loop, and the rivets holding the frogs on all vary from the originals that I've seen and owned. You'd expect a variation or two, but not that many in an original WWII M1907 sling.

Also, not familiar with the CC over 1942 marking.

ThompsonSavage

CC is listed as a genuine WW2 mfg, but there are repros out there (see below). I actually like the aging on the sling of the original poster, but that doesn't proof its authenticity. Multiple variations are possible in my opinion. War production wasn't known for its perfect product continuity...

Old discussion about the CC sling

http://www.usmilitar...west-additions/

post-45626-0-98027200-1352230764.jpg

post-45626-0-07550400-1352231554.jpg

Thanks for the replies & opinions, I hope I can get some more. I'm still less convinced it's a reproduction but sure not going to say it's original. Most all of the pictures I can find of original slings seem to have round holes, not oval. I found this sight showing several pictures and a list of makers.

http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/us_m1907_sling.htm

I'm posting a couple more pictures.

Thanks again.

post-3057-0-76419600-1352240998_thumb.jpg

One other observation - the CC / 1942 stamp is nowhere near the buckle, as seen in the picture posted of the reproduction. It's at about the halfway point on the long side.