Help with Vietnam webbing?

A/517

Upside down and on the left side. It doesn't interfere with the rifle butt to shoulder and either hand can be used getting the dressing out. It would drop right into your lap or on the ground next to you if you were prone or on your side.

If you wanted a solid, set of gear a grunt during tet would have worn here is what i would use: H suspenders, two canteens, you can use old ww2 aluminum ones if you want to, or have some lying around, they were used plenty in early to mid nam, a butt pack with poncho, and four M56 smmo pouches each holding four magazines, a bayonet, and a bandolier filled with magazines. I have talked to Tet veterans and they have told me about their gear they wore since they know I am into that stuff. Heavy on the ammo, light on B*** S**** like e-tools. Digging VC out of buildings and towns took ammo, rations and water. Guys I have talked to have been 50/50 on flack jackets. One guy always wore his, another saw a buddy get shot straight through his and promptly ditched it. Nam gear is really fun, and after wearing it a bit you will figure out how to adjust your gear to how you would have liked it. Hope this helps.

I think the M1956 small arms pouch was supposed to also hold a Garand clip bandolier, 2 20-round BAR magazines, 4 30-round M1 or M2 carbine magazines. But I have never ever seen photos of them used that way.

So would a BAR gunner wear six M1956 pouches to replace his M1937 BAR belt? Or did someone actually think that four BAR mags was enough? I think most just horded the M1937 BAR belts until the BAR went out of service.

Ditto with the Garand, A bando stuffed in a pouch seems much less useful then clips loaded in small M1923 Cartridge belt pouches.

I can imagine however the M1956 pouches probably were easier to use then the non clipped carbine mag pouches.

Now oddly I have seen a photo of an M16 toting soldier, with a M1937 BAR belt packed to the gills with the 20 round M16 mags, using M1956 suspenders to keep the weight up.

Another method is finding some original photo's from that period, and copy the equipment you see on there. Post them here if you want the gear to be ID'd.

I have a small website on Vietnam gear, see my signature.

Greetz ;)

David

Guys,

Can't thank you all enough for this info, it has certainly helped. As and when I source stuff I will put it together and post a pic to see if you have any comments.

Adam

craig_pickrall

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22466&pid=159292&mode=threaded&start=

This is the link to the Army manual FM 21-15 that shows all standard clothing and equipment. It shows all of the M1956 web gear and how to set it up and adjust it. This should answer most of your questions. It does not cover how gear was customized by GI's in the field however.

Mr. Pickrail,

May I pick your brain for a moment since I consider you as the resident expert on military web equipment.

I noticed on one of the equipment sites listed in this thread that the canvas Case, Small Arms, Ammunition, M16A1 Rifle was designed to hold four M16 magazines. I have used these cases years ago and the two I have now are brand new. However, I can only fit three magazines in and hope for any reliable retrieval. I know that if I used the US Army Olive Green KY Jelly I could possibly fit a fourth but I know I could never pull any magazines out due to the tight fit.

Do you have any information on these ammo pouches.

BEAR

craig_pickrall

My best guess is shrinkage. There are a couple of threads here somewhere that we have discussed shrinkage of this web material.

It's not just ammo pouches but other items that have snug fits. Shovel cases come to mind but anything that had a close fit is a possibility.

Saw your post. Are you looking for NEW / UNISSUED or USED M56 gear? If you want MINT, then I CAN HELP, as I have a LARGE assortment of stuff from the 1959-1969 time frame.

Drop me a line if you are interested.

Adam

How about sending me the items I paid for on October 22nd. Thanks!