Help with Vietnam webbing?

A/517

Hi All,

I need to put a mannequin together for a museum display here in the UK of a GI in Vietnam. I already have the uniform items, but am stuck on the webbing. I am a WWII collector so know very little of US Vietnam webbing.

The uniform items are original 25th Infantry Division items, so was looking at putting together a webbing set likely worn by the the Division circa the 1968 Tet offensive. Could someone please detail exactly what sort of webbing sets would have been worn at this time for a standard GI? Pictures would be particularly useful to me.

Regards, Adam

Adam...your best bet would be a basic set of M '56 gear, the mostly widely used and readily available VN era equipment. You'll need an "H" harness, pistol-belt, a pair of ammo pouches, canteen and cover, first-aid pouch, E-tool and butt-pack. It could be mixed/supplemented with some of the nylon '67 gear, but this is more expensive and harder to find. You can find this gear individually and assemble a set, but occasionally you'll find a complete set for sale, if you're lucky!

http://www.strikehold.net/2010/07/06/u-s-army-m1956-load-carrying-equipment-lce/

Thanks for the reply guys, very useful to me. Being a WWII collector I am fully aware of just how much of a minefield the topic of webbing can be because although it is all basically the same stuff different units wore different bits and in different ways and i'm sure thats the same for Vietnam.

Adam

Warman's 'Vietnam war collectibles' by David Doyle is a good guide.Plenty of full colour pictures and info.Also shelby Stantons book on vietnam uniforms id very good, also has lots of gear pics ect..

Saw your post. Are you looking for NEW / UNISSUED or USED M56 gear? If you want MINT, then I CAN HELP, as I have a LARGE assortment of stuff from the 1959-1969 time frame.

Drop me a line if you are interested.

Adam

I agree with the above-I will say that I have noticed what appears to be a trend away from magazine pouches by both Army and Marines through the war with the bandolier holding the magazines as the preferred method of carrying ammo.

my two cents

How many M-16 mags could one pouch handle?

Adam, I saw your PM, but I certainly wouldn't be looking for mint stuff. The mannequin needs to express a very worn combat look.

Regards, Adam

This is another book that has helped me with post WWII items:

http://www.amazon.com/American-Web-Equipment-1910-1967-Militaria/dp/1861268327/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352230889&sr=1-4&keywords=europa+militaria

The Kevin Lyes book is brilliant too bad it is OOP! I feel bad for people who didn't get a chance to pick it up.

LF

I agree with uplandmod. American Web Equipment 1910 - 1967 by Martin J. Brayley is great book for few bucks.

M 1956 webbing (or M 1961 butt pack) is the best choice for Tet offensive.

How many M-16 mags could one pouch handle?

Adam, as you probably already know the Pouch, Small Arms Ammunition, Universal was originally designed for the M14 magazine, of which it held two.

You could jam four 20 round M16 magazines ... but it was too tight and very impractical for a combat soldier.

So only three magazines were used.

The magazines were still below the lip of the case so they were still difficult to extract.

We used a field expedient technique to raise the magazines. This gave us a better grip in extracting a magazine.

We would insert one rolled (and clean) GI sock in the bottom of the pouch and insert the magazines on top. This would raise the magazines but still allow us to close the pouch (and gave us extra socks when needed)

Later other magazine cases were added such as the Case, Small Arms, Ammunition, M16A1. This held three magazines and above the lip of the case. In 21 years of service I never saw these ammo cases in use by US troops.

Finally, before the adoption of the 30 round magazine cases we had the 1968 nylon Case, Ammunition, M16, 20-Round Magazine.

It held four M16 20 round magazines and even had a handy little "doo-dad" strap used for extracting the magazines. "Doo-dad" is official military terminology designed to drive collectors nuts.

One more item which is not a big issue. In the US Army "webbing" is refered to as "web gear" or "LBE" (Load Bearing Equipment).

Hope this helps.

BEAR

Shouldn't the lifting strap be under the first or second magazine? The way you have it would lift all the magazines out at the same time.

Back to the subject at hand, here is a great web reference to get the basics: http://www.vietnamgear.com/

I guess you would have to ask someone who actually used those straps. First thing I did was cut them out so I couldn't get my fingers or magazines tangled. Good ideas at Natick sometimes have unintended consequences in the field.