Indiana Military Museum

renfield

I would like to post some info on The Indiana Military Museum. It is located at 715 south 6th street, Vincennes Indiana 47591. The phone number is 812-882-1941 www.indymilitary.com It is open 10:00am till 4:00pm daily.

This was my first trip to this museum, and I have to say I enjoyed it. I did not know that such a large collection was in Vincennes. They have tanks, scout cars, a couple of planes. They have displays from the Rev. war to modern times. Uniforms and guns, and personal items. A great place to spend a few hours.

They have uniforms from the following Generals Eisenhower,Patton,Taylor,Clark,Gavin,Powell,Haig, Westmorland, and MANY others.

post-5349-0-28697200-1352166639_thumb.jpg

I did not know this was in Vincennes. I used to go there a few times a week about 10 years ago. About 2 hours from where I live I may have to take a jaunt.

Thanks for posting!

Mike

It has not been open long in this large location. I need to stress there is much more than uniforms. I just happen to be into uniforms and that is what I took the most pictures of. This is a new project for them.

post-5349-0-84152900-1352168191_thumb.jpg

Definitely a trip to see when the War Department and I return to South Bend for our 50th high school reunion next year. Thanks for posting. Al.

Looks like a very ambitious effort. Everytime I go to a gun or militaria show my wife teases me about finding Patton's field jacket.. well, now I know where to find it! (Yes, tanker jacket, I know, but that is what she calls it.)

• 4 weeks later...

I know the director (Judge Jim Osborne) of the IMM in Vincennes and have visited it several times. They just moved into this location which is close to the historic district (near the Revolutionary War battle site). They are in the midst of a fund-raising drive for a serious capital investment for a new building that will incorporate some of the old structures at this location.

I last visited in 2011 when our reunion group had personal tours and discussions with the museum staff. My CO was with us and it was cool to see him glance at his uniform that was on display along with a handful of USS Vincennes artifacts.

6081372515_63ea3df511_b.jpg

It is well worth the visit!

• 3 weeks later...
thecolonelscache

I would like to add my encouragement to any and all to visit the museum. They have done a fantastic job in a short time in moving from the old location to the is new one. Jim Osborne is always looking for, and finding great additions to the displays. The Higgins Boat is the newest and will be soon have it's own trailer and be moved out of the weather for restoration. They can always use your donations in any amount. They are a registered non-profit.

The museum is a reasonable drive for a look after the Show of Shows!!!!! Check it out.

-Robb

• 4 weeks later...