Help ID this Sherman tank type

renfield

I know this will be an easy question for all the tank guys out there. I was at a local museum and the volunteer that was showing us around called it a "Patton" tank. I know enough to know that this a Sherman but what model? I know the early Shermans did not have this large of a gun, is this what is called an easy eight? I would like to get the right info to this museum for future tours. thanks guys.

Steve

post-5349-0-80493900-1352162944_thumb.jpg

This is indeed a Sherman. The cast hull and Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension marks it as an M4A1E8 (easy eight). The gun is the late war standard 76MM high velocity gun. Unlike the welded hull M4A3E8, the cast hull model is not believed to have been fielded before the end of WWII but did see service in Korea and the early cold war era.

Tom Bowers

It looks like an M4A1 (76), the first M4 variant to mount a 76mm gun.

Right on the M4A1, and the gun, but the suspension marks it as an E8.

Tom Bowers

I'm a little confused about its markings though.

2nd Armored Division - 1st Armored Reconnaissance Battalion?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong?

I only know of the 2nd Armored Recon Bn that later was redesignated 82nd Armored Recon Bn as being part of the 2nd AD..

Erwin

Those M4A1s with HVSS formed the basis for the Israeli M-51 "Super-Sherman". Now that's what I call a gun! (French 105mm)

post-8022-0-96237500-1352201653_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for your input. It is the type of thing I need to know. I would like to help this museum ID the items in their collection. It is run by volunteers and could use some info on what they have. I do not think the markings on any of the armor have been researched. The signs on the tanks simply say keep off. Would you all be kind enough to help with these also. I know the tank is a Stuart, and the scout car a Greyhound, but that is the extent of my knowledge. I am not sure of the yellow markings? Thanks all.

Steve

post-5349-0-94521100-1352244959_thumb.jpg

If you'd like Send me photos of the vehicles and I'll tell you what they are. It looks like a fantastic collection. The Stuart is an M3A1 light tank, the 6 wheeled armored car with the turret is an M-8 and the one without the turret is the M-20 Armored reconnaissance car. There's also an M-7 Priest Self Propelled 105mm Howitzer and an M-3 halftrack. PM me and I'll help you out in any way I can.

Tom Bowers

Hi All,

As have been stated so far all the vehicles have been correctly id'd, apart from what has been called the preist, which is in fact a sexton spg. As for the "patton" which is a sherman hvss 76mm gun. The gun was not upgraded by the brits but is actually a american 76mm gun.

hope thats of some use, any other questions fire away.

Buster

P.S. what museum is it?

I am not sure of the yellow markings?

The yellow was used by the Armored Forces until October 1942, though many vehicles that were overseas in North Africa and Sicily still had the yellow star and markings into mid 1943.

The Stuart in your photo looks like it's painted up for 'Operation Torch' in 1942.

RC

Hi All,

As have been stated so far all the vehicles have been correctly id'd, apart from what has been called the preist, which is in fact a sexton spg. As for the "patton" which is a sherman hvss 76mm gun. The gun was not upgraded by the brits but is actually a american 76mm gun.

hope thats of some use, any other questions fire away.

Buster

P.S. what museum is it?

yup, my bad it is a sexton. Should have looked a little closer.

Tom Bowers

The Indiana Military Museum. It is located at 715 south 6th street, Vincennes Indiana 47591. The phone number is 812-882-1941 www.indymilitary.com It is open 10:00am till 4:00pm daily.

Sorry, I had a giant computer crash and am having trouble getting on line. I have started a thread in the Museum section of the forum. Check it out it is a great place. Many more vehicals to post pictures of when I get my lap top back in running order.

Steve

vostoktrading

I'm planning to go to SOS early next year. I was hoping to go see the Patton Museum at Fort Knox but I see they are going to be closed for about 8 months for renovation. That's only 30 miles from Louisville.

Vincennes is about 120 miles from Louisville. If the weather isn't too bad do you think it's worth the drive? Anything else to do there (good shops, you know, militaria.. etc...)?

Jon.

I'm planning to go to SOS early next year. I was hoping to go see the Patton Museum at Fort Knox but I see they are going to be closed for about 8 months for renovation. That's only 30 miles from Louisville.

Vincennes is about 120 miles from Louisville. If the weather isn't too bad do you think it's worth the drive? Anything else to do there (good shops, you know, militaria.. etc...)?

Jon.

HI Jon,

Just about all of the vehicles have been moved from the Patton museum to Ft Benning and elsewhere. The only meaningful items there when I was last there in 2010 were an unmatched collection of Gen Patton's personal items including his Mexico 1913, WWI and WWII uniforms and souvenirs, His pistols and Helmet liner, a car that may have been the one he was riding in when he had the accident, a Jeep fitted for senior officers and his mobile command post truck. It's not that far from SOS (which is about half way between Louisville and Ft Knox all interstate miles)and is worth the visit, in my opinion, just to see the Patton items. The museum is not hard to get to and is free of charge. The world famous Knob Creek machine gun range is close too and they have a fantastic gun shop on site. I really didn't look too much further than that. Hope you have a good time

Tom Bowers