Post-Korea USMC Metal Chevrons

Brig

As the wide ones were only briefly used, likely he was a 1stSgt when they transitioned to the thinner, modern style rank

That must have been just before they started using the ones with rifles on them? In the same thrift store I also picked up a couple of sets of enlisted black EGA's with cover and collar pieces. I suspect they came from the same source as the metal chevrons. They seem to be early "modern" EGA's with clutchback collar pieces. Those would have been worn on the shirt collar of the khakis:

usmcegas.jpg

Here's Gomer Pyle's DI wearing the chevrons on his utilities:

sutton.jpg

Around then, the rank was reimplemented in 1958, I think the wide chevrons were used until around 1960 or so...

SgtMaddoxUSMC

When the ranks were officially changed in December 1959, both the insignia and the structure itself changed. Lance Corporal was added as E-3 bumping the rest up a rank, E-6 (Tech Sergeant) was bumped up and reverted to Gunnery Sergeant, and Sergeant Major was moved up to E-9 alongside the newly created Master Gunnery Sergeant. I imagine they would have switched over to the new insignia pretty fast to avoid anymore confusion than I'm sure there already was. Sucked to be a salty PFC who was looking to pick up Corporal and now there's a whole other rank you have to go through first!

• 2 weeks later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

This is interesting, here is an image of 1stSgt J. E. Bresette from an old 1/9 cruisebook I have. This is 1963 and he is still wearing the wide chevrons. I did not think that they were still in use by that time. Maybe some of the salt-dogs wore them just because they could!
post-133515-0-85987800-1422835452.jpg

That is really interesting. First sergeant (though it moved from E-7 to E-8) and PFC were the only grades whose stripes could be used both pre- and post-1959.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Wow that's awesome! The only ranks that would have been used at the time of testing would be PFC through MSgt since they didn't add back in 1stSgt and SgtMaj until Dec 1954.