Post-Korea USMC Metal Chevrons

Brig

Here's a thread I'm reviving after our oops...post-Korea USMC metal screwback chevrons. Feel free to add. First, a single Sergeant chevron I found for a buck at a local flea market...

Sgt_Chevron_Front.JPG

Sgt_Chevron_Rear.JPG

• 1 month later...

Brig,

Is this what you are looking for? Mine don't have the clutchbacks like your's. When were these type chevrons abolished?

Andrew

post-889-1208225424.jpg

post-889-1208225446.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
craig_pickrall

This is a set of the early metal chevrons shown on a HBT Utility Cover from the 1953 - 56 time frame.

post-5-1210354319.jpg

• 1 month later...

here're a few more I just got in. A single Corporal Chevron and two pairs of Sergeant Chevrons

Cpl_Sgt_Front.JPG

Cpl_Sgt_Rear.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

thought I'd finally scored a matching pair of 1st Sgt/MSgt chevrons off card for the case...however when they arrived, they weren't matched. I would have sent them back for a refund, but I noticed the back of one is marked "App'd 354". Until now I hadn't seen any marks whatsoever on the backs of these. An interesting varient

MSgts_Front.JPG

MSgts_Rear.JPG

• 9 months later...

couple more...

Gunny wide chevrons but clutchback instead of screw, these clutched versions seem to be scarcer than the roller ones...

also, a roller style 1st Sgt with diamond. I thought these metal chevrons were void of anything in the center, is this a later-type/transitional 1stSgt, or are all the ones without the diamonds actually just Master Sgt chevrons?

Wide_Chevs_1.JPG

Wide_Chevs_2.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Would like to nail down the periods used on these. We know they're the first type of metal enlisted rank authorized in the US military. Does anyone have an actual begin/end date for their usage?

Would like to nail down the periods used on these. We know they're the first type of metal enlisted rank authorized in the US military. Does anyone have an actual begin/end date for their usage?

I imagine the date the stoped being used was when the new EM ranks with the crossed rifles came out, 1961 or something? I think these is another topic that talks about the dates on both types, can't remember :o .

Hello Everyone,

Marines wore these type of wide chevrons without crossed rifles from about 1954 until about 1959. The new rank structure was announced in October 1958 with implementation starting in January 1959. Some time after January 1959 Marines began wearing the new chevrons with the crossed rifles. The Army also wore these wide chevrons in the 1950's and maybe into the 1960's. Hope this help.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

I also think the screwbacks were used first and much more heavily, with clutchbacks being implemented transitionally, briefly, prior to the new ranks. We see much less clutchback versions out there

Also...anyone know the regs for wear? Currently they have to be 1/2" from the sides and bisecting the point of the collar...similar then?

Hello Everyone,

Marines wore these type of wide chevrons without crossed rifles from about 1954 until about 1959. The new rank structure was announced in October 1958 with implementation starting in January 1959. Some time after January 1959 Marines began wearing the new chevrons with the crossed rifles. The Army also wore these wide chevrons in the 1950's and maybe into the 1960's. Hope this help.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Do you know on what uniform items Marine Black collar ranks were worn on by the Army in the 50s? we've all seen those enameled Gold on Black metal ranks being worn now and again in the Army of the 50s to mid 60s, seen on a variety of caps, on the front of M1 helmet liners, but the these Black Marine types? I could see these early Marine types being worn by Soldiers in South Vietnam in the 65-68 period, but not in state side units or in places other than South Vietnam or Thailand, here in places other than Southeast Asia the standard was the full color Gold on Army Green sleeve rank patches. As we know the Army adopted the Black EM rank pins the Marine Corps first originated/used in 1968-69, first in South Vietnam then Army wide, so I can see why some GIs might have aquired these 50s Marine types to wear before the Army had their own "Subdued" types manufactured.

• 2 years later...

I found small stash of them at a local thrift store this week. The large 1st sergeant pair is screwback and the smaller 1st Sgt and Sgt. Major are clutchback.

1.jpg

2.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Nice catch Bob! Those 1stSgts don't pop up too often... took me awhile to get mine, and the wide SgtMaj is even harder. I was lucky to get one but need to find its mate still (:

Nice catch Bob! Those 1stSgts don't pop up too often... took me awhile to get mine, and the wide SgtMaj is even harder. I was lucky to get one but need to find its mate still (:

What's the deal with the narrower ones with clutch backs?

As the wide ones were only briefly used, likely he was a 1stSgt when they transitioned to the thinner, modern style rank