M-1 Restoration Worth the Trouble?

skio

Picked up a front seams Schlueter helmet today with the worst paint job I have ever seen. There is so much silver paint on it that it is difficult to see the front seam. It has a Westinghouse liner with the same bad black paint job on it and I got them from a yard sale today along with a sand colored WWII German helmet. Heat stamp number is 309A over a S

I have read that Goof Off works well on removing later period paint. I am thinking on giving it a try starting with the underside of the rim as a test run. My question to the forum, Is this worth the effort to even bother on the helmet and liner? Let me know what you think and any advice that may be offered. Thanks!

post-5041-0-94724500-1352060503_thumb.jpg

post-5041-0-16534000-1352060524_thumb.jpg

Yes I think it would be worth the effort, you never know what might be under there and you will be saving the old wardog!.....and on a positive note, i think the silver will come off with ease.......mike

Screamingeagles101

I would strip the silver paint and see what's underneath before doing anything else, if you find The original OD paint than I would add chinstraps and repainted the liner the corect color. So yes it is worth the effort. You don't know until you try, For all we know you can have a gem.

Well good luck & best regards

I've been working on removing multiple layers of paint from a shell lately. I used Goof Off which works but it's easy to remove the corking as well. I'm not sure it is possible to get down to the original layer of paint without damaging that layer as well as removing all of the corking. Like the administrator said...you really can't ruin this one though. :) I've gotten some flak about repainting shells in the past, but shells like these are ideal candidates I think. Good luck!