Need help with WWI USMC collar discs

b_hinch

I bought these at a very good price because I'm confident they are the real deal. I just don't believe the "gold" plating is real.My plan is to remove the gold plating and restore them to their original brass finish, but I just want to make sure that the gold plating isn't real and I just haven't seen it before. Any help would be appreciated.

Bryan

post-8602-0-82489200-1352003058_thumb.jpg

post-8602-0-19284800-1352003072_thumb.jpg

kyhistorian01

They are real, just late 1920s to 1930s. gold finish was used during this time period for collar discs. your discs look just like the army ones I have, including a set on a 1930s enlisted kahki coast artillery jacket. Wait to hear from the marine experts but I am confident these are late 1920s when collar brass was shifted from brass to gold.

Robert

Robert, the gold collar discs in the 20-30s apply only to the Army, as the Marine Corps used these disks very, very briefly during WWI. In 1920, the disks were no longer used as they were replaced with an actual collar emblem

As for these, Bryan, I'm always very hesitant with collar discs, they're one of the more highly reproduced items. These look almost hand painted, which could be done last year or could have been done post WWI. No collar emblem was officially authorized by the Corps until 1920 for enlisted men, so even collar discs aren't usually seen in photos. Likewise, who has seen a patched set of WWI blues authentic with some provenance? Pretty rare, since there was no need for blues during the war, but I know of one set in a private collection

I know of no produced dress version of this, but it's not unheard of. See this thread... http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6518-gilt-ega-collar-discs/

teufelhunde.ret

I know of no produced dress version of this, but it's not unheard of. See this thread... http://www.usmilitar...a-collar-discs/

That ref sec thread about says it all, with that, these do appear to be the legit issue type disc's. I presume these are the same disc's seen in last week's Ebay auction? I would like to see the back revealed w/o the rollers, before further comment.

$T2eC16F,!zoE9s5nc2+1BQfZggVrig~~60_57.jpg

Thanks for the help everyone. Apparently these were on Ebay a week ago because they popped up last night as a "Buy it Now" for 59.95. The seller did say that they were returned by the first buyer because "she thought they were fake". But they look identical to a set I own (minus the gold plate) so for 60 bucks I thought I'd take the chance. I haven't held them in my hands yet. I'll post more when they arrive. Thanks

Bryan

they originally brought under 200...enough people were skeptical. They do look original and painted, only question is who painted them

Received the discs today. No need to post photos, they are fake. SCARY GOOD fakes! Slightly larger and thicker than originals, yet weigh less. Not painted, but plated. Almost look "anodized".

teufelhunde.ret

It is very important to all USMC collectors we do our best to document (pic's) high quality repro's in the market place. Any pic's you can post please, would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 years later...

In looking at this discussion, it reminded of an earlier 2010 discussion of the same construction type discs but in bronze. I found the link to the earlier discussion, see http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/86293-collar-discs/

Note the early discussion indicates this type screwback construction as real. As for the Gold wash I can't say but I do have a Gilded set of these very type dics in my collection.