AIRBORNE CRICKET - ACME CHROME

Just tought i would share my latest Paratrooper Finds ;)

First off here is some photos of an Original WWII ACME Chrome Cricket as issued out to Paratroopers of the 101st

A.B Division During D-day Just for the Doubters this it 100% Original WWII Made by Acme whistle Company in England

its still in its Original Cellophane Clear Wrapper as: Featured in the Book Americas Finest Airborne Book Vol II Page 101

Item # 3 Coming from Author Gary Howards Paratroopers Collection from the U.K where he came on a batch of these Crickets

in there Original Cardboard Box made in WWII .

Hope you like it as much as i do.

post-11464-0-35924200-1351955196.jpg

post-11464-0-42274200-1351955220.jpg

post-11464-0-93065300-1351955385.jpg

Nice ones Tomas! Gary sold off the bulk of his airborne collection a while back. I had the opportunity to buy some items but they were too rich for my blood! You presumably do know that boxed Acme crickets made from the original tooling are now available on the open market? The dealer even offers them in "pre-distressed" condition. I've followed the auctions on eBay. They always sell very well....lots of bidders! So, as is so often the case in this hobby.... buyer beware! :o

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the comments my friend ;)

Yes i do know that the ones been sold on EBay are made by the original Tool But thankfully there not the same as the one

they made back in the 1940's as they dont seem to be still able to get the Thumb Depression right thankfully as it would be Dangerous !! for collectors .. They say they are using the original dies,,, which they are not. If they were the depression would be correct, it would be slightly offset an the flaw would be in them like the Originals.

I purchased mine out of a Private Collection that were in Gary Howards did you get anything intresting from the Collection Ian ?

(If they did ever get the thumb depression right on these crickets they sure would be very dangerous!)

Regards

Tomás.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the comments my friend ;)

Yes i do know that the ones been sold on EBay are made by the original Tool But thankfully there not the same as the one

they made back in the 1940's as they dont seem to be still able to get the Thumb Depression right thankfully as it would be Dangerous !! for collectors .. They say they are using the original dies,,, which they are not. If they were the depression would be correct, it would be slightly offset an the flaw would be in them like the Originals.

I purchased mine out of a Private Collection that were in Gary Howards did you get anything intresting from the Collection Ian ?

(If they did ever get the thumb depression right on these crickets they sure would be very dangerous!)

Regards

Tomás.

Alas not Tomas. There was some being sold via a dealer at Beltring....but you know how hideously expensive original airborne stuff is!! :o

Hi Guys thanks for the kind comments on this side ;)

Hey Ian

what do you mean Alas not tomás ?

What sort of money were they been sold for in Belgium ? was there a big turn out as always in the beltring any nice 101st Items ?

Airborne Collecting sure isnt cheep it sure does come with a big price tag as im always broke purchasing Named 101st Groupings.

Alas not (comma) Tomas! ;)

alas....used to express sorrow, regret, grief, compassion, or apprehension of danger or evil.

Hey Ian,

I understand now what you do mean :P Ha ha..

the " apostifi " over the á you were refering to press ALT GR & A = á on the computer keys. ;)

Regards

Tomás.

The Dutch dealer at Beltring comes from Arnhem and bought the vast bulk of Gary's collection (Airborne anyway - he still has his Civil War collection). I know how much his collection sold for which goes a long way to understanding the prices the Dutch guy is charging.

Rich

Hey Rich,

I think i know the guy you are reffering to going by the initils (M.C) from the Arnhem area if he bought his entire A.B Collection

i'm pretty sure he has now got one very impressive A.B Collection for him self, i understand why he is selling bits off so high

any wonder after spending Thousands of pounds on Gary Howard's collection.

Just tought i would add two more shots of this Acme Chrome Cricket Front and Back

as this Camera isn't the best of cameras for close up shots.

post-11464-0-42212100-1352416701.jpg

Front.

post-11464-0-88382200-1352416757.jpg

Back.

Regards

Tomás.