My WWII US Small arms collection.

SKYLINE DRIVE

SKYLINE DRIVE

All tough it was never used by the US Army, it was kind of "Government Issued", so I could not pass up on it to add to my WWII US Army small arms collection: "US Property" marked No4 MKI* made by Savage Arms in the US of A.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w310/theholeinthedonut/Divers/Guns/Guns011/IMG_4923_zps6e92fd38.jpg

WOW :o what an amazing private collection!!! Love the beautiful M1 Springfield

BTW, your picture hyperlink doesn't show up above

• 4 weeks later...

Skyline,

All I can say is WOW! and I thought my collection was too much :blink: Well not to much, but man OH man what a collection, what a collection indeed. Really like the M2. Now that we saw the firearms, what the heck is in the rest of your collection??? Do you have any vehicles? Great collection, Thank you for sharing.

Best Regards

Jim

That is an amazing collection! It's nice to know there are still many floating around in 'as-issued' condition. Guns like those you have are a rarity in the US and a collection like yours would buy a nice house in a very nice neighborhood. I had no idea you could legally own those over there. That is awesome.

• 3 weeks later...
RedStateRanger

Skyline, that's an awesome collection and really impressive how you're able to acquire such weapons so readily. I have collected WWII weapons in the US, but have a long way to go. I've added some picts to show how I display part of my collection. Always glad to share ideas and talk with others about displays. Regards,

Mark

post-155290-0-70125100-1418588296.jpg

post-155290-0-14132900-1418588330.jpg

post-155290-0-34048400-1418588345.jpg

You pretty much have a gun museum, I am very very jealous!!! Every gun you have is nice, IMO. I especially loved the BAR and M2, and being in original working condition is amazing! Being from the U.S. I probably won't ever see a full-auto anything unless I join the army! Wish you could have something like that in the U.S.! Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Dirt Detective

Skyline, that's an awesome collection and really impressive how you're able to acquire such weapons so readily. I have collected WWII weapons in the US, but have a long way to go. I've added some picts to show how I display part of my collection. Always glad to share ideas and talk with others about displays. Regards,

Mark

Great display cabinets.

• 2 weeks later...
SKYLINE DRIVE

Mark

Those cabinets are really Ranger!!!! I have only racks where I can put my collection on when thy are out of the safe!

RedStateRanger

Skyline

Nice Enfield, too. What hours is your "museum" open??

Your earlier post showed a nice M-1 Garand with an M-15 sight attached. Did you attach the sight and is that easily done?

I have an original M-15 sight unissued, still wrapped in the paper. Haven't attempted to attach it because I didn't want to possibly decrease the value of the Garand. My M-1 isn't named or historically significant but it is all original (1943), complete and in nice shape. Seems like having the sight attached might be a more interesting way to display. Any suggestions on that?

Cheers

SKYLINE DRIVE

Skyline

Nice Enfield, too. What hours is your "museum" open??

Your earlier post showed a nice M-1 Garand with an M-15 sight attached. Did you attach the sight and is that easily done?

I have an original M-15 sight unissued, still wrapped in the paper. Haven't attempted to attach it because I didn't want to possibly decrease the value of the Garand. My M-1 isn't named or historically significant but it is all original (1943), complete and in nice shape. Seems like having the sight attached might be a more interesting way to display. Any suggestions on that?

Cheers

I got the gun with the sight and launcher attached. It was well oiled and wrapped in an old coat, standing in a closet in a farms attic where the farmers grand father had put it in December 1945. But I think installing the sight is pretty easy, it is fixed with screws and if memory serves me right there should be an instruction leaflet with the sight where they show you how to fix it. If you do not find it with your sight, get back to me and I will scan you mine.

Cheers

RedStateRanger

I got the gun with the sight and launcher attached. It was well oiled and wrapped in an old coat, standing in a closet in a farms attic where the farmers grand father had put it in December 1945. But I think installing the sight is pretty easy, it is fixed with screws and if memory serves me right there should be an instruction leaflet with the sight where they show you how to fix it. If you do not find it with your sight, get back to me and I will scan you mine.

Cheers

Skyline

Thanks. I do have the instruction sheet and the complete sight with mounting bracket. Added some photos for those who want to see original packaging. Haven't unwrapped it yet since it might be worth more in the package. Will keep researching that. Happy New Year!

post-155290-0-15856200-1419813223.jpgpost-155290-0-62050500-1419813238.jpgpost-155290-0-38416700-1419813252.jpgpost-155290-0-66223900-1419813262.jpg

SKYLINE DRIVE

I think you should be able to find another of these sights for a good price! They are quite abundant.

• 4 weeks later...
RedStateRanger

A friend of mine is sending me pictures of an M1 Carbine that may be a prior converion to an M2. It no longer has the selector switch but does have the round bolt and an interesting looking stamped metal top foregrip, versus the typical wood. Barrel is GM 1943 and the receiver is Saginaw SG. Will post ASAP to try to determine the authenticity. In meantime do you have picts of an M2 Carbine or a M1 conversion gun for comparison? Thanks.

SKYLINE DRIVE

A friend of mine is sending me pictures of an M1 Carbine that may be a prior converion to an M2. It no longer has the selector switch but does have the round bolt and an interesting looking stamped metal top foregrip, versus the typical wood. Barrel is GM 1943 and the receiver is Saginaw SG. Will post ASAP to try to determine the authenticity. In meantime do you have picts of an M2 Carbine or a M1 conversion gun for comparison? Thanks.

Sorry but I won't be able to help straight away. We have a huge number of US WWII small arms over here, they are all battlefield recovered from the "Battle of the Bulge", but finding an M2 Carbine is much more easier in the US then in Europe. I will ask around if anyone of my friends knows someone who has one though!

I'll also say outstanding collection and thank you for preserving the history of this arms!

CD

RedStateRanger

Sorry but I won't be able to help straight away. We have a huge number of US WWII small arms over here, they are all battlefield recovered from the "Battle of the Bulge", but finding an M2 Carbine is much more easier in the US then in Europe. I will ask around if anyone of my friends knows someone who has one though!

Thanks for the reply. After stripping this gun it turned out to be an M-1 with an aftermarket folding stock (no proof cartouche or butt plate parts number) and a metal heatshield for the top foregrip. Do you ever come across the USGI folding stocks for the M1, without the gun? Only ones I see here are the after market versions. Cheers.

SKYLINE DRIVE

Thanks for the reply. After stripping this gun it turned out to be an M-1 with an aftermarket folding stock (no proof cartouche or butt plate parts number) and a metal heatshield for the top foregrip. Do you ever come across the USGI folding stocks for the M1, without the gun? Only ones I see here are the after market versions. Cheers.

They are very hard to find, as well the M1A1 carbines as the original GI folding stocks. They always sell for big money!