U.S. Army Branch Tag - How old

Marksman

Hello,

today i got a 2nd CIB. It comes from the seller with a little "extra".

A Branch Tag (i hope thats the right word). From which time periode was it?

Greetings Stefan

post-54820-0-90022000-1351872298_thumb.jpg

post-54820-0-26250300-1351872311_thumb.jpg

As Johnny says, introduced in the mid 50s, worn until the advent of subdued tags in the late 60s, so any time in between really.

It was Officially called Distiguishing Insignia U.S. Army, More commonly called simply the U.S. Army tape, the later subdued versions as well. There were a few full color varients of this U.S. ARMY tape made and worn during the 50s and 60s. This one you have here is the Government issue type, woven in rayon, the most common type. In the late 50s, around if I can recall the date, 1957, this woven GI issue tape was required to be sewn on all Fatique Shirts, Field Jackets, and OG Wool Shirts BY the manufacture before shipment to the Quartermaster Corps clothing Depots.

US Army tags from the '50s-'60s to the early '90s. Top two tags belonged to my father (OG tag from 1968). The third tag was issued to me in basic in '72. All the embroidered tags were from contract sew shops on different installations from 1973 to 1990. Don't remember which tag was made where or what dates.

IIRC the gold on black tapes were authorized around 1954-55.

I do not recall the exact year.

RC

The requirement for "national" ID tapes arose during the peace-talks at the end of the Korean War and were standardized thereafter.

U.S. ARMY, Uncle Sam Ain't Released Me Yet is what I heard it stood for.

Wow that's right I remember that when I was in, Havn't heard that in just about 30 years :D

The U.S. ARMY tapes started to be worn around late 1953, early 1954, there is a least one interesting combination with this, I think a example of this can be seen in the Photograph forum, 4th Armored Division 50s photograph grouping? like you know, like the Army tape being worn over the White name tape on the left side over the pocket, you know, like this being done because up to that time the White or rarer early Branch colored Name Tapes were worn on the left side over the pocket, they finally in no time moved the name tape to the right side.

Thanks all for your informations! That would be grat for me.

So here in the german army we only had name tapes so i didnt know the right word for that.

Greetings Stefan