WWII SeaBee experts - Have a look - Unusual piece of gear!

bobgee

Found this WWII brown & green USMC-Type poncho at a gunshow this past weekend. It had an attractive price so I bought it. Typical stiff condition and in reasonably good shape. I started looking for a manufacture date and was quite surprised to find what I did. A U.S. Navy contract in Nov 1943! I assume it could only have been for the SeaBees. Am I wrong? Any & all info appreciatrd!

Semper Fi - Bobgee

jackets 016.JPG jackets 017.JPG

The onlly difference between the Navy and Marine versions in the label.

Here's one of these being put to use to provide camouflage for a Navy amphibious forces communicator operating on the beach during training. This photo is from a 1945 Pacific Fleet amphibious forces training school yearbook

image.jpg

Yes I have a Navy marked one for many years, I believe 1944, I've always assumed it was amphibious or CB's as well.

Interesting enough I still need to pick up a USMC marked one!

Great find!

LF

Thats a great looking poncho. I have a pair of them. Both dated 44 I think.

Beach Battalion personnel, shore parties, hospital corpsmen, CBs, combat photographers/cameramen, and other sailors assigned to marine units, even ground crews and other personnel at air fields on pacific islands would have had these.

Beach Battalion personnel, shore parties, hospital corpsmen, CBs, combat photographers/cameramen, and other sailors assigned to marine units, even ground crews and other personnel at air fields on pacific islands would have had these.

Exactly, issue wasn't just limited to CB's, but could have included any shore based naval personnel.

Very nice find, you don't find them too often.

RC

No, Beach Battalions would probably NOT have them as they were limited to the ETO, and for the most part supplied through Army stocks. The BB's were speciafic units, and not to be confused with a generic shore party or landing party or whatever.

No, Beach Battalions would probably NOT have them as they were limited to the ETO, and for the most part supplied through Army stocks. The BB's were speciafic units, and not to be confused with a generic shore party or landing party or whatever.

Yes sorry I meant to say Beach Parties, the smaller PTO version of the BBs in the ETO.