Luxenberg New York Marked Knife Crafters Theatre Made Knife

TCSchultz

As part of an estate buy I recently found this interesting theatre Made Sword Knife and Scabbard maked as "LUXENBERG NEW YORK" but which appears to be made by Knife Crafters of Chesnut Hll, PA as shown on Page 188 of the fine reference book "Theater Made Military Knifes of World War II" by Bill and Debbie Wright. The knife measures @ 12 1/2" in length with the matching unmarked as to maker's scabbard and also bears the original owner's last name stamped into the handle and scabbard which measures @ 14". I can not find any reference to Luxenberg selling knifes but the markings match the spelling and location of their New York site. I am posting this to new finds first but I'm sure it'll end up in the edged weapons area which is fine, just looking for feedback.

post-17286-0-17540100-1351715574_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-26811900-1351715590_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-62095300-1351715619_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-42419500-1351715635_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-70612700-1351715656_thumb.jpg

post-17286-0-04224900-1351715678_thumb.jpg

Thats a beauty.

Could it be the address of the owner whose last name is on the handle?? Or did Luxemburg sell these as a retailer and not a manufacturer?

I spoke to a WW2 vet once who had a Springfield made Randall.He stated his parents bought it in 1943 from Abercrombie & Fitch and gave it to him to use when he shipped to the Pacific

The owner was from New York state but not New York City plus the way the maker's mark is stamped in it was all one stamp so I suspect it's a similar situation where Luxenberg sold these knifes that they private labeled in their store to servicemen. I agree it's a nice knife and in great condition too.

• 4 years later...

As part of an estate buy I recently found this interesting theatre Made Sword Knife and Scabbard maked as "LUXENBERG NEW YORK" but which appears to be made by Knife Crafters of Chesnut Hll, PA as shown on Page 188 of the fine reference book "Theater Made Military Knifes of World War II" by Bill and Debbie Wright. The knife measures @ 12 1/2" in length with the matching unmarked as to maker's scabbard and also bears the original owner's last name stamped into the handle and scabbard which measures @ 14". I can not find any reference to Luxenberg selling knifes but the markings match the spelling and location of their New York site. I am posting this to new finds first but I'm sure it'll end up in the edged weapons area which is fine, just looking for feedback.

attachicon.gifMVC-013S.JPG

attachicon.gifMVC-014S.JPG

attachicon.gifMVC-015S.JPG

attachicon.gifMVC-016S.JPG

attachicon.gifMVC-017S.JPG

attachicon.gifMVC-018S.JPG

I have one marked the same way.

post-165606-0-85938200-1489437814_thumb.jpg

post-165606-0-20365300-1489437833_thumb.jpg

Boy that is exactly the same as mine including the same scabbard and markings, nice to see that there is another one in the world! Thanks for sharing yours and I'm sure that you like it as much as I do mine as it remains one of my favorite knifes.

Boy that is exactly the same as mine including the same scabbard and markings, nice to see that there is another one in the world! Thanks for sharing yours and I'm sure that you like it as much as I do mine as it remains one of my favorite knifes.

I have another one just like it except it does not have the Luxenberg, New York marking.

Two identical U.S. WWII Knife Crafters fighting knives made from the hilt section of a W.H. Horstmann & Sons Civil War 1850 Foot Officers sword blade, (I am almost sure from the research I have done).

Blade was made near Solingen Germany by Gebruder Weyersberg, (4 point crowned head). These knives were hand made, (as can be seen from the slightly different blade grind), at Knife Crafters of Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, PA.

​I have 8 Knife Crafter knives now, they are one of my favorites. I got my first one in 2005. I really like the hilt section officers blade type.

post-165606-0-54576100-1489457976_thumb.jpg

Very interesting. An excessive amount of blades were made by Weyersberg (note the kings-head mark on the racasso), Solingen, Germany for Horstmann during the American Civil War. The M.C. Lilley Co., later called Lilley-Ames, ended up with this huge, sword blade inventory and used them for all sorts of things causing confusion for collectors.

I have a M1902 with a USN M1852 blade.