Practice grenade blue color

collector

I want to restore an originally blue grenade. Went to the local hobby shop and saw a couple of blues that look good, but is there one that is the closest or right on that I could ask for?

Thanks

I am thinking somewhere along the line of a Robins Egg Blue. There are different shades, some darker, some lighter..

It may be a start for you..

Leigh..

It was not specified in your original post, but were you wanting to restore a MK II or an M-67 type grenade? They both appear to have the same type of light blue..

I will continue to search and see what I can find. Maybe there is a specification in the army field manuals...

Leigh

Leigh,

It's the typical RFX body, fuse, and washer.

I know it's a light blue, just thought there might be an exact choice favored by modelers.

I got the grenade as a kid at Quantico out of a dump in the late 1950's, and somewhere along the line painted it OD. At the hobby shop I saw several likely choices, one being Pacific Blue, and as you mentioned Robin's Egg Blue too.

I appreciate your input, thanks. When I get it done I'll post a pic.

David

It was not specified in your original post, but were you wanting to restore a MK II or an M-67 type grenade? They both appear to have the same type of light blue..

I will continue to search and see what I can find. Maybe there is a specification in the army field manuals...

Leigh

• 4 weeks later...

There is a T.O. that modelers use to get the correct colors for their projects called F.S. 595 (I think that's the one). I have a copy here somewhere but I'm not sure where. You can purchase these on-line by looking up the 595 number. Fedspecs.com lists foldout color cards and a set of the actual paint chips, which is what you would get with the T.O. The military colors start with 1 (gloss), 2 (semi-gloss), and 3 (flat).

When you look up F.S. 595 you will also find a site where you can look up blue and it will show you all the colors used. It's not as accurate as having the actual chips or cards.

• 1 year later...