Chief Petty Officer Combination Cover Anchor Collectors

holdaas

All,

A question to the group. What are thoughts on cleaning your anchors? Several examples I have a quite dirty. I do not want to sacrafice patina but would like to give them a light clenaing. I have heard taking them to a jeweller and having them ultrasonically cleaned is a good route to take. Thoughts Suggestions?

The ultrasonic cleaning might not be a bad route. For these and other badges that I wanted to clean but not remove the patina, I've just used a very soft brush, warm water, and dish soap (sometimes even my fingers for rubbing in lieu of the brush). In rare cases, I've followed up in the crevasses with a dull toothpick to get out any additional gunk. That has worked for me for both insignia and medals.

Hope that helps!

Dave

I would follow Dave's advice; it seems to be the standard tried & true method for just about anything vintage. Good results ~ little to no impact on the item.

You might get away with the ultrasonic cleaner but some hazards do exist. Do NOT use the cleaning solution that often comes with them as it can destroy some finishes. Also, a possible concern would be any corrosion or crap that is actually holding pieces together and those pieces now fall apart when subjected to the vibration during cleaning.

Tim

Ray,

An old soft toothbrush with warm water and dish soap should remove any dirt, grime, and metal polish that might be in the nooks and crevices. I would recommend drying the item with a blow dryer if it has any metal that is ferrous in nature and where water could potentially hide.

If you do need to remove any gunk that is proving harder to remove, send me a PM and I might have some suggestions.

Good luck!

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Great examples, John. I like the Life Saving Service, also.

I'm still looking for the first two versions.

-dan

John,

I'm with Dan on that, that is really a nice little display you got going and as much as I want to add the first two, I really would love to add one of those early Life Saving Service insignia to my collection.

Terry, does you anchor have the Pasquale logo as well as the sterling or is it marked just sterling?

Tim

Thanks Dan and TIm,

Really did not make the connection on the 1897 anchor until I found it at an antique show and went back through this thread. My holy grail is a WW1 USB or a geodedic survey one that looks like the USCG or Surfman anchors. I have more but they are on hats

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post another example to keep the topic rolling; nothing super special or hallmarked, just the sterling content mark on the reverse of the letter "N".

post-50776-0-92788800-1394833495.jpg

Close up of the mark:

post-50776-0-21299400-1394833538.jpg

Steindaddie

Two pieces that arrived yesterday from a Master Chief who retired in 1968. The badge on the right I found interesting given the skinny USN and anchor, (early 50's?) plus, the overall small size of the band. The badge and its cap band are NS Meyer.

post-1949-0-07326800-1395031709.jpg

Steindaddie

Question: Here is the Master Chief himself in the mid-1960's. He had been an MC for several years (I have his records) yet he doesn't wear an MC cap badge. I have a half dozen of his caps with badges, but none with an MC badge. He has the MC collar badges though.

So, when was the wear of such badges made official or mandatory?

PS. This man is now 92 and still one tough cookie.

post-1949-0-63877900-1395032305.jpg

I have a quote from the Navy Times about the overseas cap...still looking through my stuff to find the combo cover reference.

New Cap Devices Okayed

By Mel Jones

WASHINGTON-The Navy's senior and master chiefs will soon be wearing stars on their hard hats and overseas caps, while all other petty officers will have grade insignia pins for their working caps.

Those were two of four types of insignia approved by the latest meeting of the Uniform Board and okayed by the CNO. The new insignia devices are shown below, with those for the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, master chief and senior chief at left, and the working-cap device for petty officers at right. The latter is shown for a first class petty officer; the others will be similar with fewer rockers below the crow.

Other changes okayed were:

1. An identifying design for explosive ordnance disposal warrant officers.

2. Academic achievement starts for notably proficient collegians enrolled in various officer candidate programs.

Faced with a spiraling number of requests for new insignia, particularly breast pin-ons, the board also agreed on a set of guidelines it will follow in okaying uniform devices. Details of this new policy will be in next week's issue.

The new super-CPO cap grading is a composite of existing collar and hat devices. Retained is the present size and design of the cap insignia, but to it will be added stars arranged like the collar pin-on. Senior CPOs will have a silver star centered in the stock of the anchor and master CPOs two stars, atop the stock.

The Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy will have three stars crowning the anchor, for as long as he holds office.

Board officials predict the new cap devices will be available in exchanges "as soon as managers start ordering them."

Other petty officers will have their own cap chevrons and for the same reason super-CPOs got theirs - to be able to distinguish rank when coats or jackets are worn.

There's a lesser reason, but you won't find it printed in directives. Petty officers have worn "port-call-made" cap insignia wherever and whenever commanders have condoned them. The new device merely standardizes the practice.

A silver replica of the sleeve chevron, the pin-on will be optional with the present dungarees and required when the new work cap comes into being.

Source: Jones, Mel. "New Cap Devices Okayed." Navy Times 18 (22 January 1969): 1, 50.

The 1959 uniform regulations refer to the combo cover as a visor cap, it may have been lumped in with the overseas cap quoted in my previous post.

MCPON Delbert Black 1967 - 1971

post-104733-0-10975400-1395073030.jpg

The SCPO/MCPO collar devices came into existence in late 1960, he might have been one of the first groups promoted to Master Chief...does his service records show him as a Senior Chief or give an advancement date to Master Chief?

The first group advanced in late 1958 and I see he has his stars sewn over his rating badge.

Here's the first couple of advancement lists if you want to check for his name.

http://www.goatlocker.org/resources/cpo/history/superchiefs.htm

I'm really interested considering he's an Airdale and I can go down and view his uniform when I get back home if you guys put it on display.

Steindaddie

Here's the first couple of advancement lists if you want to check for his name.

I'm really interested considering he's an Airdale and I can go down and view his uniform when I get back home if you guys put it on display.

Thanks for the link! He made Senior Chief on the 3rd list with 15 Dec 1959 as the effective date. ( ADC Hayden. D.J.)

No ADSC uniforms from the man, only his ADCM (and his AD1 jumpers)

And do come by the museum - we have nice uniforms coming out our ears.

I brought my collection on deployment and the PR's made me a pretty ingenious display piece…with squadron colors to boot...

post-104733-0-43031900-1395687513.jpg

I don't normally post links to auctions but this one is sort of mis-marked and almost over, decent price with no bids. The rope style isn't exactly rare, but isn't something that is available daily either.

This one is a screw back too, which means the arched U.S.N. was available after the cap band came out (1947), not sure that I've seen a rope version or an arched U.S.N. in a screw back?

I have nothing to do with this auction, just figure somebody here might need this one for their collection and I don't need it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231185358185?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2619wt_1137

post-104733-0-50458300-1395748290.jpg