Chief Petty Officer Combination Cover Anchor Collectors

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm hoping to get some help with the markings on a few of my anchors. I believe this one may say Amcraft across the top, not sure what it says underneath?

Yep thats AMCRAFT ATTLEBORO MASS.

Graham.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif
donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

The 1947 regulations were not illustrated, but again the description doesn't specify chain or cable. The 1951 edition doesn't, either, but finally includes a detailed illustration:

post-3982-0-39973600-1354328561.jpg

My guess is that, absent more detailed specs, some maker(s) began to use a chain and for whatever reason it caught on and became standard.

Justin B.

Great information, thanks very much.

Regards,

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War, US Merchant Marine. WARNING: Dangerous Cargo. No Visitors, No Smoking, No Open Lights.

The 1947 regulations didn't have a picture but they did introduce the combination cap band. Steve mentioned it earlier in the post and I believe he has a good point, you'd likely have a heck of a time getting the pin-back anchors through the leather mount.

Pin-back anchors with chain are a dime-dozen on most internet auction sites which places the chain mod pre-1947 in my opinion.

4A-40. Cap Device (Combination Cap). - The cap device on the combination cap shall be a gold foul anchor. The length of the anchor including the fouling shall measure 1-13/16", shall be 1-3/16" wide at the flukes, 1-1/16" wide at the stock, and the entire device shall be of a size to be inscribed in a circle 1-7/8" in diameter. The unfouled arm of the stock shall be on the wearer's right. The cap device shall be attached to the mount of the combination cap band.

IN SEARCH OF:

Chief Petty Officer combination cover anchors.

Chief Petty Officer rating badges

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's how I'm currently displaying my collection, not very fancy but at least they're out and I can look at them when I want to.

post-104733-0-80799200-1357247121_thumb.jpg

IN SEARCH OF:

• 2 months later...

The Chief's anchor was sewn to the cap from 1897 until around 1920 which makes this one old and fairly rare.

IN SEARCH OF:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Does anyone have an 1893 CPO Cap device they're willing to part with? Endlessly trying to get my hands on one and seems like they only go on Ebay once in a great while.

IN SEARCH OF:
Chief Petty Officer Combination Cover Anchors

Chief Petty Officer Challenge Coins

I just watched one go for $200+ on ebay this week...I only have one so far, I was fortunate enough to have stumbled across it last year. If I'm lucky enough to find a second, I'll keep you in mind. I posted about them last year too.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/158611-chief-petty-officer-cap-device-1893-1897/

IN SEARCH OF:

Thank you, yes I was watching it on Ebay this week as well and would have paid that amount despite being in a meeting when the auction ended so instead I got the big outbid.

IN SEARCH OF:

The 5-6 that I've seen sell on ebay averaged between $120 - $160...I've seen them as high as $325, I'd say this weeks was higher than average.

The new Chiefs were pinned in September and, in my opinion, prices sky rocket for 3-4 months following the pinning...I only collect CPO related items. I found mine in a group of Navy buttons and the seller likely didn't realize the significance of the device...I got a ridiculously great deal by doing it this way but it took a little patience to find it.

OBTW, being outbid in the last 2 seconds of any auction ruins my day.

IN SEARCH OF:

Thanks brother, I've been combing Ebay doing the same. I've only seen two posted in the last year with one going for $300+ and then this one for $204 so those are the only two I've seen to get a good baseline. I'm right with you about being outbid which is why I wish I could have been online when I was outbid. I'll continue on my quest and please keep me in mind if you see any online elsewhere.

IN SEARCH OF:

Here's the one I'm missing, it's an 80's era Senior Chief anchor. It seems like it'd be a common item but I've only ever seen this one for sale, and I missed it. The 60's era star is lower and the current star is higher.

post-104733-0-42786300-1381765113.jpg

IN SEARCH OF:

The middle one is the one I don't have, might seem a bit ridiculous to hunt for something with such a minute difference but I have found all 3 collar device variations.

post-104733-0-16853300-1381888607.jpg

post-104733-0-17914500-1381888612.jpg

post-104733-0-15939600-1381888619.jpg

IN SEARCH OF:

Here's the one I'm missing, it's an 80's era Senior Chief anchor. It seems like it'd be a common item but I've only ever seen this one for sale, and I missed it. The 60's era star is lower and the current star is higher.

I never knew this. Being a "variation freak", I will have to start paying attention when I see SCPO hat badges for sale at shows and flea markets. I assume this also applies for Master Chiefs?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

Good, informative discussion. We only have one CPO device at the museum. It has the "son in the service" device on it as well. Curious that this is the only insignia throughout the services that adopted this modification (afaik). Also, the anchor with 3 stars is the Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy insignia, isn't it?

donation2015.gif