Chief Petty Officer Combination Cover Anchor Collectors

Al,

IMO, the pattern of anchor with the separately applied fouled chain was used early on by several manufacturers. Perhaps this was the initial design when WW2 started and many used it prior to making their own particular designs? Was it something one manufacturer produced and then marketed it to others...unknown to me.

I would tend to agree, based on the hardware shown, it is probably an item produced or assembled by J.R. Gaunt of London, England. If you compare the mounting hardware with the examples of different insignia in the J.R. Gaunt section on "hallmarks", I think you'll agree.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23952-jr-gaunt/

I would also suggest looking into the Australian manufacturer's Wallace Bishop, of Brisbane, Australia and K.G. Luke as they used similar hardware. Any source details you can share?

Hope that helps some.

Tim

Mine is nearly identical to yours and it has "G. LUKE MELBOURNE" and I believe the "K" didn't get fully impressed, the "G" is more notable yet it is lightly impressed...just heavier than the K. My pin is just a few posts above this post.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have been looking for a few months now with no luck. Where is everyone finding the old combination cover devices? Any advice on where to start. Im trying to start a collection.

It is all about timing. I have a tiny collection (which includes the four pieces that i acquired last year and posted to this thread, just a few posts previous to this) and it isn't growing much due to the same reasons that you are experiencing. These just aren't leaving collections or making it to market. My last four came from another collector who passed away and I was happy to become their caretaker.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

It is all about timing. I have a tiny collection (which includes the four pieces that i acquired last year and posted to this thread, just a few posts previous to this) and it isn't growing much due to the same reasons that you are experiencing. These just aren't leaving collections or making it to market. My last four came from another collector who passed away and I was happy to become their caretaker.

• 1 month later...