Chief Petty Officer Combination Cover Anchor Collectors

holdaas

I've collected combination cover anchors for a few years and have amassed a respectable collection. I'm currently away from my collection but I'll add the photos I have. Please feel free to add pictures of your collection.

This was most of my collection before I left.

post-104733-0-34547200-1351660673_thumb.jpg

This is one of my oldest anchors, I'm thinking 20's-30's...I don't have pictures of the reverse side but I'll post them when I can.

post-104733-0-58969600-1351661425.jpg

Here's another good one, it's not excessively old but it has rope...as opposed to cord or chain...you don't see these ones too often.

post-104733-0-06774100-1351661600_thumb.jpg

Love it! I have a couple also. I used to have one of the old Senior Chief anchors with the star on the stock of the anchor, but passed it on the a friend when he made SMCS (raised him from an SMSN, good Sailor). Any way, keep them coming and thanks for sharing!

Steve Hesson SMCS(SW) USN RET

Here's great info on USN CPO devices found on the "Goat Locker" website. The Goat Locker is where CPOs live/reside. One of the distinguishing differences in the USN (and USCG) from the Army, Air Force and Marine Corps is that you change uniforms when you advance to paygrade E-7.

http://www.quarterde.../HatDevices.htm

A simplified history of USN CPO (E-7) cap devices is this: If the CPO hat device has "sew on tabs" on the reverse side, it is the earliest type. If it has an open back clasp catch it is very old. If it has a closing type clasp catch it is old. If it has pin back tabs it is post WWII.

The official USN mascot is the goat. History of Bill the Goat: http://en.wikipedia....i/Bill_the_Goat

"Goat Locker" history: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Goat_locker

Here's great info on USN CPO devices found on the "Goat Locker" website. The Goat Locker is where CPOs live/reside. One of the distinguishing differences in the USN (and USCG) from the Army, Air Force and Marine Corps is that you change uniforms when you advance to paygrade E-7.

http://www.quarterde.../HatDevices.htm

A simplified history of USN CPO (E-7) cap devices is this: If the CPO hat device has "sew on tabs" on the reverse side, it is the earliest type. If it has an open back clasp catch it is very old. If it has a closing type clasp catch it is old. If it has pin back tabs it is post WWII.

The official USN mascot is the goat. History of Bill the Goat: http://en.wikipedia....i/Bill_the_Goat

"Goat Locker" history: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Goat_locker

The San Diego Navy Historical Association has helped me date a couple of my anchors, they are pretty knowledgable. They have a few HTML copies of old Uniform Regulations that have been pretty useful too. I got quite a bit of help with one of my other cap devices in the forum hyperlinked below.

http://www.usmilitar...vice-1893-1897/

I don't own, nor have I seen the reverse side of one of the sew on anchors; if anyone has pictures, please share.

Here's a bit of an oddball. I contacted the SDNHA on this one because it confused me...It's cord but in a later 40's style anchor and it has the open back clasp design...If I remember correctly, they guessed the age at 40-50's...definitely a head scratcher…

post-104733-0-56882700-1351749662_thumb.jpg

Love it! I have a couple also. I used to have one of the old Senior Chief anchors with the star on the stock of the anchor, but passed it on the a friend when he made SMCS (raised him from an SMSN, good Sailor). Any way, keep them coming and thanks for sharing!

Steve Hesson SMCS(SW) USN RET

Steve,

Pretty sure I have 3-4 now, I'll give one to a fellow Senior Chief if you'd like a new(old) one...currently deployed so it may be a few months.

Ben Holdaas ATCS(AW/SW) USN

Here's another anchor that I'd put in the 20-30's category.

Is there a way to modify older posts? I found pictures of the reverse side of some of the anchors I've posted and would like to post them together?

post-104733-0-62671600-1351840967.jpg

Jon B.

Nice collection, don't suppose we could get a close up of the four on the top left, they look pretty flashy to me.

Ben

Here's a more common one, possibly late 40's but more likely 50's...The 1951 uniform regulations called for the USN to be horizontal but the old stock was allowed to be sold/used until depleted.

post-104733-0-02299200-1351919086_thumb.jpg

While I haven't tried it, and definately am not disagreeying with older stocks being used, could you pin these through the backing that was added with the '49 regs?

I hadn't considered it, I assume you're talking about the hat band? I'm not sure that it could, I will experiment at a later date.

Extracts from Minutes of the Permanent Naval Uniform Board Meeting No. 25 - 26 January 1954

2. Chief Petty Officer Cap Device

The Board concurred with the recommendation of the Chief of Bureau of S & A to permit utilization of present stocks of chief petty officer cap devices with the “USN” in a horizontal arc, in addition to the presently prescribed device for reasons of economy and prevention of unnecessary waste. Future procurement of this item to conform to presently prescribed device.

Here's the last one front/back. Pretty sure that's all the photos I have with me, I'll take some more of the other unique ones when I get home.

post-104733-0-87482200-1352003448.jpg

These are the first two original style anchors I've ever seen, other than the NHHC website, thanks for sharing. I have yet to find one; people really cling to these ones...I wish they could tell their story.

The optimist in me would like to believe that it is a converted sew on, it is a bit smaller than my other anchors. There’s just no way to know for sure.

I don’t have a better picture of it with me, it is a modified loop. They cut it to adapt for use with the pin, you can see where it was a full loop at one point…just don’t know if that was common or possibly manufactured that way.

It’s my second favorite anchor, next to the one that was on my combination cover the day I was pinned.

Does anyone know of any books with anchor history, does the routing of the cord (on the back) have any bearing on age?