1941 U.S.Navy Band Rates

hhbooker2

Here is the plate showing the rates of the United States Navy Band, I have yet to see exaples of the actual rates, has anyone here a picture or photograph of them? Thank you! :blink: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ( [email protected] )

post-837-1203323698.jpg

Here is the plate showing the rates of the United States Navy Band, I have yet to see exaples of the actual rates, has anyone here a picture or photograph of them? Thank you! :blink: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ( [email protected] )

I've never actually seen one of these, Sarge.

-dan

I've never actually seen one of these, Sarge.

-dan

DAN: Perhaps CWO-4 Lester B. Tucker and John A. Stacey have seen them as they are the word on rates. Maybe the U.S. Navy strictly controls their band uniforms and insignia for them? I've never seen a Navy Band Uniform for sale either or even on display anywhere? Imagine how hard it would be to find actual band uniforms of 1886? Maybe few collectors collect them and their insignia? Someone once sold me a lot of band insignia for the British anmd Canadian armies for next-to-nothing, this is a mystery, hope someone can step forward and solve it? Yes, thanks, Dan, for telling me about this forum, really enjoy it a lot! :) Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

DAN: Perhaps CWO-4 Lester B. Tucker and John A. Stacey have seen them as they are the word on rates. Maybe the U.S. Navy strictly controls their band uniforms and insignia for them? I've never seen a Navy Band Uniform for sale either or even on display anywhere? Imagine how hard it would be to find actual band uniforms of 1886? Maybe few collectors collect them and their insignia? Someone once sold me a lot of band insignia for the British anmd Canadian armies for next-to-nothing, this is a mystery, hope someone can step forward and solve it? Yes, thanks, Dan, for telling me about this forum, really enjoy it a lot! :) Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California

Sarge,

I don't believe Les is active much anymore.

John Stacey is updating his USN Rating Badge book. I'll run those by him to see if he's actually seen an example.

Thanks for your posts.

-dan

• 14 years later...

I found an image of the rate badge being worn by a bandsman at Kings Point in 1943 (if anyone is still wondering about seeing the badge in the wild.

IMG_20190515_0006-detail.jpg

I have these two (I think I have others, but I'll have to dig a bit.).  The blue one is what is described in the 1951 Uniform Regs with the USN below the insignia. Have no idea what the gold one is for. Haven't found a reference to that one.

20220910_120213.jpg

20220910_120232.jpg

Dug through my stuff, found the following items:

1950s cap badge

A Dress belt buckle, but can't date it because can't find a reference to it in the Uniform Regs.

A patch for the Navy Band which is the same as the logo for the Navy band.  And a scroll that says  THE NAVY BAND.

20220911_144332.jpg

20220911_144434.jpg

20220911_144311.jpg

united-states-navy-band-logo-HFDEWR.jpg

20220911_144324.jpg