Civil War Confederate D Guard Bowie knife and scabbard ?

nbolinger

A friend ownes this bowie knife and would like to know if ts confederate?I told him i was because of the tin on the scabbard and the way the blade is , but maybe some experts can check it out, maybe i can give him some good news.

post-9905-0-26932600-1351642756.jpg

I am looking at the scabbard fitting at the throat. Does Tin rust, or is that the remains of paint ? Why is the rivet showing rust and the carefully chamfered washers do not? I know a scabbard is not the first thing one should be looking at for confirmation but these thoughts make me wonder.

I know there is a large trade of supposedly period American Civil War D guards and large knives in general said to be associated but most will point out that the Georgia Arsenal swords are the only that might not be suspect (if they are not newly made themselves).

Running this knife through the Blade Forums Bernard Levine section might be pretty telling and the response ften quite divided in opinion.

Roby bowies though, yum. Little worry about them being authentic.

Cheers

GC

post-55097-0-68592600-1351680288_thumb.jpg

I cannot add anything to the discussion on the knife itself, as I know next to nothing about Civil War-era edged weapons. I'm writing to address the question of whether tin can rust. Pure tin will not rust, but what we commonly call "tin" is actually tinned steel or tinned iron. The steel/iron is hot dipped in tin as a protective measure, most commonly to prevent rust. So, tin itself does not rust, but tinned steel/iron could exhibit rust as the finish ages and wears. Unless I am way off, I would assume that the "tin" throat on this scabbard is actually tinned iron, not pure tin.

This exhibits a similar finish to CW-period and later mess gear (such as meat cans, cups, flatware, etc.). For example, we often refer to CW- and Indian War-peiod cups as "tin cups," but they are only tinned, not made of pure tin.

I hope that helps.

I have been collecting CW Bowies for several years and what your friend has is an original Kenansville, NC arsenal D-guard Bowie/Cutlass. There are a few different models produced, some with a round handle are called the Naval Cutlass and others referred to as Artillery Cutlass. This one with the flat sided handle is considered the Artillery knife/Bowie. All are big, usually about a 15" blade and 20" overall. The sheath is correct, just missing the bottom part and it would probably have had a tin tip for the last 1" or 2". There is a new book out, Confederate Bowie Knives, I highly recommend it for anyone that wants to learn more about authentic CW Bowies and has over 300 original examples, including a section on these Kenansville Arsenal made Bowies/Artillery Cutlass, etc. Hope this helps.

• 5 years later...