Is this medal rare, or common?

goral432

Rare is a relative term. This is a Commander's Coin for Excellence so it is limited to the garrison commander (in this case) who awarded it as a personal recognition to someone. Some soldiers will value their coins more than a decoration or medal because it is a personal recognition from the commander. whether it is rare/scarce or not is relative to how many he/she gave out during the command and to whom it was given to. The fact that it is numbered indicates to me that they all were and there is a log or record in the garrison identifying the awardees by numbered coin. So in that respect it may be considered scarce but again, is relative. While not one of a kind, it is one of a few relative to how many regular medals are awarded over the same period of time.

Rare is a relative term. This is a Commander's Coin for Excellence so it is limited to the garrison commander (in this case) who awarded it as a personal recognition to someone. Some soldiers will value their coins more than a decoration or medal because it is a personal recognition from the commander. whether it is rare/scarce or not is relative to how many he/she gave out during the command and to whom it was given to. The fact that it is numbered indicates to me that they all were and there is a log or record in the garrison identifying the awardees by numbered coin. So in that respect it may be considered scarce but again, is relative. While not one of a kind, it is one of a few relative to how many regular medals are awarded over the same period of time.

Thanks for the info. I would think that it is very desirable because of it's low serial #. Does anybody out there collect these coins? Does every Military base, or outpost issue these coins?

Most 'collections' are in the hands of military members, and consist of ones they've been presented only. I know my Bn Gunner collects only ones presented to him, and has, I believe, over 300

I probably have 12-15 myself

Most 'collections' are in the hands of military members, and consist of ones they've been presented only. I know my Bn Gunner collects only ones presented to him, and has, I believe, over 300

I probably have 12-15 myself

++

Your Gunnie must be a heck of a shot! Maybe Ft. Carson will give me some info about who got it and why.

they're given for all kinds of things, not just marksmanship. I have two 'Plank Board' coins, for being a 'founding member' of a newly activated or reactivated unit. I have one from a Bn CO on PI for, officially, their marksmanship stats that week on my range, but I'm thinking because it was the first cycle out of probably 15+ where I hadn't had to drop a kid in training as a safety violator. The Generals and SgtMaj at the embassy in Baghdad used to hand them out almost at a whim to us gate sentries. One for a MC Ball, etc