WW2 OSS USMC Combat Fairbairn Sykes Stiletto Fighting Knife Dagger with M3 scabbard.

Jack's Son

On Ebay... http://www.ebay.com/...em=300799213715

This is a reach by any means.....

This pair is only fake in as much as the Dagger was NEVER used by the Marine Corps, and it was NEVER paired with a M3 scabbard!!

post-8213-0-71151000-1351561189.jpg

post-8213-0-50574700-1351561201.jpg

post-8213-0-23451100-1351561212.jpg

post-8213-0-67452800-1351561224.jpg

Please refer to this thread for answers.........

http://www.usmilitar...ighting-knives/

I agree with both of you!! :)

RD, the knife has been re-tipped, and is scratched heavily because of the scabbard.

Devil, the $2 bill is the only thing that fits in!!

...and the USMC knife used a knurled BRASS handle, did it?

Thought not

I can have these knives made today to exactly that spec.(or any spec.) so whoever paid $450 needs their head looking at!!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I think I am missing something. The knife is a fake? The scabbard is a fake? His description is intentionally deceiving, or the two paired are?

Sparrow

An OSS dagger in an M8 scabbard, What would make it a fake? Buerlein shows a FS in an M8 scabbard in his book "ALLIED MILITARY FIGHTING KNIVES". Have seen an attributed OSS dagger in a M6 scabbard. I Understand the 'pancake flipper' sheath was uncomfortable, weak and disliked so would kind of make sense to be used in more pratical scabbards. Lots of USMC folks in the OSS so I must be missing something also

The opening line of the thread answers your questions. The Marines used issued knives none of which were F-S stilettos. And the F-S Stilettos were never issued with M6 scabbards.

We know ANY combination of ANYTHING can be attributed whatever the seller wants, but in this case it is false.

I wouldn't think it was ever issued this way.

And if was done in the field we will never know.

Oss knives are brittle and the tips break off very easily so it is not uncommon to see one re-tipped.

When I was 12 I broke one right in half throwing it into the wood floor.

The tip was still stuck in the wood while the rest of the knife scattered across the floor. :blush::(

The opening line of the thread answers your questions. The Marines used issued knives none of which were F-S stilettos. And the F-S Stilettos were never issued with M6 scabbards.

We know ANY combination of ANYTHING can be attributed whatever the seller wants, but in this case it is false.

No, it does not. Why is it fake Alert section? Its not in a correct scabbard, but again why is it fake? Gunshow last week, P38 pistol in a 1911 holster, rig with capture papers GI bringback, Is that a fake also? P38s were not issued in 1911 holsters. OSS knife in M6 scabbard is on display at the CIA Hq. at Langley. Is that a fake? Is the FS in a M8 scabbard in Robert Buerlein's book a fake? Are You saying that USMC persons in the OSS were not issued OSS knives because they had their own stilettos? You allude that the one on ebay was a fake, Your qoute " but in this case it is false". Is that Your opinion or do You have more info.? If so, then let us all in on it .

Skir,

If my choise of sub-forums has caused a problem, I will ask a mod to find a better forum for this thread.

MODERATORS.......Please make a decision as to the proper forum for this thread!!

The body of my thesis is stated, and it is my opinion of this auction posting. It's not worth an argument.

I wouldn't think it was ever issued this way.

And if was done in the field we will never know.

Not unless someone invents a time machine, excepting original archival documents that is.

I've had to pass on some interesting items because there was no provenance as to use during WWI or WWII, or just the "Battle of the backyard, 1956".

RC

Skir,

If my choise of sub-forums has caused a problem, I will ask a mod to find a better forum for this thread.

MODERATORS.......Please make a decision as to the proper forum for this thread!!

The body of my thesis is stated, and it is my opinion of this auction posting. It's not worth an argument.

I've moved this into the Edged Weapons section.

...and the USMC knife used a knurled BRASS handle, did it?

Thought not

I can have these knives made today to exactly that spec.(or any spec.) so whoever paid $450 needs their head looking at!!

For the benefit of the members that are not familiar with what it is being discussed, the knife in question appears to be a British Second Pattern Fairbairn Sykes knife. Marines were never issued true FS knives; Marine Raiders were issued stilettos like this one in my collection. Notice thet the handle is cast onto an extension of the blade.

post-70-0-28208200-1353697680_thumb.jpg

Ok, I think I am missing something. The knife is a fake? The scabbard is a fake? His description is intentionally deceiving, or the two paired are?

Sparrow

Neither the knife nor the scabbard are "fake"--they were misidentified either on purpose by a seller that knows better or by a seller that doesn't know what he's talking about. The knife appears to be British issue, while the scabbard is for a U.S. M3 trench knife or M4 bayonet or later (including M7 bayonets).

Either way, somebody paid $150-$175 too much for the set. That's why it's important to do your research before you pi$$ your money away.

Agree!

When I was 12 I broke one right in half throwing it into the wood floor.

The tip was still stuck in the wood while the rest of the knife scattered across the floor.

I'll never speak to you again. -_- LOL! :lol:

It's not worth an argument.

Goodness gracious, man--most certainly it isn't! I hope this Forum doesn't turn into a peeing match Forum like so many other out there. We have enjoyed the professionalism, camaraderie and respect for each other's opinion for many years to start this kind of crap now. We certainly do not need it.

RC, I hope you are monitoring this.

Goodness gracious, man--most certainly it isn't! I hope this Forum doesn't turn into a peeing match Forum like so many other out there. We have enjoyed the professionalism, camaraderie and respect for each other's opinion for many years to start this kind of crap now. We certainly do not need it.

RC, I hope you are monitoring this.

I'm keeping an eye on it, and I expect that any replies to this thread by members will be both civil and constructive in nature.

Let's keep the forum friendly everyone.

Thanks,

RC

I'll never speak to you again. -_- LOL! :lol:

Believe me when I tell you no one was more bummed about it than me.

It had the spatula scabbard with the original rubber ring still intact and supple.

I sold it to George Marino in Gettysburg in 1976.

After I sold it George told me what it was.

I had broken it within hours of getting it and had it for 10 years.

It came from Lt Col. Bob Robb G-2 for the 9th ID.

What was he doing with an OSS knife ?

Manny

I have a USMC Raider knife that has created many arguements at shows and with other collectors.It came from a local man who was in the 17h irborne Division with the 194th Glider Infantry Regt.I heard about this knife for years.He was a local farmer and lived near my sister and brother in law.He called the knife his "Commando"knife and used it to bone out chickens for years after the war on the farm.He retired and called me one day to look at somethings.He handed me his "Commando knife".I expected to see a 3rd pattern FS knife.Low and behold it was a Marine Raider knife.I asked how/where did you get this.He said ,England.When we were stationed there there were some Polish paratroopers we traded with.I got the knife from them.I have people tell me this isnt possible.THing is the vet has no reason tell me a story other than the way it happned.He came home and never left the farm,wasnt a collector or had any other place to have gotten the knife.One other brother was in the 79th division,and no realitives served in the Marines.I have people tell me no way he brought this home.Wrong.I know some of the Canadian paras carried the Raider knife.Possible he confused the Poles witht he Canadians but he got it in England.I have posted the knife one other time on the forum.

RD